Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing presumed gone!

M

mik

Hi I put the remaining axie babies into my 3 foot tank a couple of weeks ago...and now can't find a single one...Utterly confused. I reckon aliens kidnapped them all.

The tank is 3 ft with undergravel filter and well cycled. Artemia hatchlings were washed before putting in tank. They have just diappeared in last couple of days. If they had died I would expect to see the odd hairy fluff on the bottom but nothing. and no there isn't an extra large baby floating about like jaws.

Suggestions on a postcard...damm aliens!

K

kim

awwwwwwwwwwww Mikki!!!

:'(

maybe wify got p****d off with them??

Or maybe it really was aliens!!?? Hope they dont come my way!!!

M

mik

If they burrowed down that far Leah they would be almost certianly be dead. I have 2" of gravel over the plastic plate.

I will sysphon the gravel this week and see if anything turns up. I puprposely put them into a huge cycled space so that there output would have negligible effect and I wouldn't have to syphon gravel or do anything more than a minimal water chang once a week.

Dumb aliens!

andrew

Reaction score
Mik, i once had something like that happen when a three inch youngster just vanished! I'd only seen it five hours previous! It was in a tank on its own with a sealed hood? Never did figure it out?

J

jennifer

There are known cases of newt larvae growing up to near-metamorphosis hidden under the plates of undergravel filters. I wouldn't discount this possibility (or the possibility that they could stay alive under there). Hope you find them!

M

mik

Thx Jenny, now I'm tempted to lift the plate and check it out but I really don't want to disturb such a good tank.

H

heather

Whats more important to you; a good tank or the lives that are withering away under the gravel!!

(Message edited by salamander_maniac on December 01, 2004)

E

edward

I've had C. cyanureus larva develop at work inside of canister filters.

Ed

M

mik

Temptation won...i looked..no axies...damm those aliens...
Well I am going to relocated my males to this tank when it settles down again. I kept all water, and gravel to one side while I peeked. shouldn't take long at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1