Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mites in the White Worms

R

rob

Noticed I have mites. I'm curious if I should bother trying to get rid of them? Also, if the thought is they need to be eliminated anyone have any good suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

E

edward

Hi Rob,
If these are predatory mites or grain mites they can crash your colony.
Most likely they are grain mites. Depending upon the food used for the worm and the conditions these mites can really have a major population explosion.
Ed

R

rob

Ok...so how should I remove them?

They're tiny white mites if that helps to identify them.

Rob

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think the mites came with your starter culture of whiteworms? If so, ask the source. It may be that the worms will stay ahead of the mites (or co-exist reasonably), at least under some conditions (like low temp maybe).

To get rid of them, you would either have to "clean off" some worms and start a new culture from them (and you might not really be rid of the mites even then). Or get a fresh culture (from a different source) and start over with sterilized equipment, bedding, etc. The whole area around where you have been keeping the culture will have to be considered "contaminated".

R

rob

Hi Jen,

The place I got the worms has had them for years in a refrigorator and the mites where there then. They asked me to try and refresh their population and so gave them to me to try and raise them up and bring them back to good producing stage.

The mites seem to be overrunning the culture now though (I don't keep them in the fridge but in my basement).

I've heard you can pour the contents into water and the mites will float off as a possible way of ridding myself of them.

What do you think?
Rob

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the worms have an advantage at refrigerated temp, but the mites grow faster at room temp. You could try the floating method, but I'll bet you still end up with mites. It only takes one or two of them to renew the contamination. A fresh source (or refrigeration) is probably the only salvation.

For a small easy-to-culture worm, I recommend the "small aquatic redworms" sold by www.aquaculturestore.com.

morg

Reaction score
I have found it very difficult to keep whiteworm and grindal worm cultures mite free, but keep the numbers down by taking out as many as I can with tweezers.
If your whiteworms are to feed young larvae, they may also eat the mites,some of the ones I have brought up this year have.

MORG

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!