mixing Axolotls with frogs

firedragon92

Reaction score
Country
Australia
would you be able to mix axolotls with frogs that are large enough not to be eaten or will they also nip the axolotls gills

cheers

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
I would strictly advice against any mixing of species; there have been several stories and threads around here discussing this problem. Have a look at Species Mixing Disasters if not done already.
A frog being big enough not to get swallowed by an Axolotl (for instance African Clawed Toads) would readily be able to do some big damage to Axolotls.

Dawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.
Pet shops tend to do this all the time to save space and money on housing. Many times the animals don't interact due to bad husbandry, stress or overcrowding.

Housing frogs and axolotls together is a bad idea as someone will more than likely be attacked. There are also few fully aquatic frogs and many of those are chytrid carriers which may infect the axolotl. Most of the aquatic frogs are tropical and prefer higher temperatures than axolotls which means poor housing conditions for at least one animal.

firedragon92

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for your help i definatly wont be doing that and will just stick with the axolotls in the tank

cheers

Bikebiddy

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have my axolotyls in an outside pond and at this time of year the frogs go there to breed. NZ native frogs are rare but Australian bell frogs live here in the North Island. It's really nice to see them together but it is sad to think the axis would eat any eggs or tadpoles. I didn't realise frogs could hurt axis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1