Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More eggs?!

yarmello

Reaction score
I have a pair of wild type axolotls that laid about 250 eggs about two weeks ago. They hatched within 8 days! I decided to try to raise them. Today I noticed my little girl has laid more eggs! Surely she shouldn’t be laying more eggs. I’ve read how having too many eggs can be detrimental to my girl. Any suggestions? What should I do with this new clutch of eggs?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Are you housing them together?

It is generally recommended to house the sexes separately as they can breed consistently so every 2-6 weeks and 100-1000 eggs each time.

It is also not recommended to raise more than a handful at a time. It allows for more chance they dont get proper care and that the market cannot handle that many at a time.

yarmello

Reaction score
I thought they were both girls all this time. I will definitely separate them. But I guess I’ll have to dispose of these eggs since I’ve already got a few larvae I’m feeding. Unless someone wants eggs...

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Are you housing them together?

It is generally recommended to house the sexes separately as they can breed consistently so every 2-6 weeks and 100-1000 eggs each time.

It is also not recommended to raise more than a handful at a time. It allows for more chance they dont get proper care and that the market cannot handle that many at a time.
I’m not planning on raising or having eggs, but how would u not get to raise a handful at a time with 250? Would u freeze the others to get rid of them? I know it’s a weird question but I was just wondering what is the most humane way.

Last edited:

MermaidMommy

Reaction score
I will take some if you have them, this is my new passion! At any rate, you can call your local zoo to see if they want them. Some museums keep them as well.

Axi718

Reaction score
Please let me know if you you have any available my kids and I have been looking for quite sometime. I'd be willing to pay whatever for them.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Most responsible breeders I know cull by freezing eggs in early development down to a number that is sustainable.

I only raise 40-50 from a clutch if there are numerous morphs expected. If I am expecting only a few morphs I only raise 10-30.

These are unrelated breed quality lines not unknown random potentially inbred lines and I still cull.
We definitely do not need more poorly bred axolotls with shortened lifespans and things like short toe syndrome.
We want to showcase the beauty and majesty of the species to the general public. These are critically endangered creatures we need to do our best for them.

I’m not planning on raising or having eggs, but how would u not get to raise a handful at a time with 250? Would u freeze the others to get rid of them? I know it’s a weird question but I was just wondering what is the most humane way.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Most responsible breeders I know cull by freezing eggs in early development down to a number that is sustainable.

I only raise 40-50 from a clutch if there are numerous morphs expected. If I am expecting only a few morphs I only raise 10-30.

These are unrelated breed quality lines not unknown random potentially inbred lines and I still cull.
We definitely do not need more poorly bred axolotls with shortened lifespans and things like short toe syndrome.
We want to showcase the beauty and majesty of the species to the general public. These are critically endangered creatures we need to do our best for them.
Okay, that’s what I thought. It seems like the most humane way. Thanks for answering!

yarmello

Reaction score
Thank y’all for all the replies. I’ve gotten some really bad advice and I’m so glad I’ve found this forum. My babies weren’t correctly sexed and the internet of full of misinformation. I’m not going to try to raise this second clutch. Since they were just laid yesterday I think I will remove and freeze them. However I am a tiny bit overwhelmed with the larvae from the first clutch. I need a smaller number to focus on.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
That is the best for you and the babies

You can consider letting some of the larvae loose in the adult tank.
You are better only trying to raise a handful 20-30 versus a ton. I am experienced and still wont do it.

I know it seems horrible but a quick natural selection is better than you overwhelmed for months and them potentially dying.

Thank y’all for all the replies. I’ve gotten some really bad advice and I’m so glad I’ve found this forum. My babies weren’t correctly sexed and the internet of full of misinformation. I’m not going to try to raise this second clutch. Since they were just laid yesterday I think I will remove and freeze them. However I am a tiny bit overwhelmed with the larvae from the first clutch. I need a smaller number to focus on.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I would remove as much as you need to get down to maybe 2 dozen. Calgary is very experienced and if she won’t do it, to you shouldn’tI would freeze all of yesterday’s eggs, and release all the other large ( except about 2 dozen or a dozen) into the adults tank. I know it seems horrible and morbid, but it’s better then most babies dying when they are older and you get more attached to them, and they have grown legs, which will make it 100% worse.

yarmello

Reaction score
Y’all are right. I’m having trouble hatching enough brine shrimp for them all. This all just turned out way crazier than I thought it would be. I’ve had my axolotls for nearly 4 years and I was so excited to finally get a big tank where I could house them both. They’re separated now but I guess I’ll put some kind of divider between them because I really love my new tank! I put so much work into it. I really appreciate all the advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1