Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More help please, babies are dieing with white fuzzy spots

cbzplace

Reaction score
IMAGE_502.jpg
I have a little ledge for them to stay on it is half in and half out of the water. They seem to like it up there. They've been eating the bloodworms really well. But one by one they are developing spots, they get fuzzy and white and then spreads all over their entire body. They become more and more listless. Then they die. This has happened one by one. She ended up having 5 and now there are only two left with the largest and I though healthiest now covered in fuzzy whiteness even though yesterday he was fine. He seems ot just be floating around the tank now too instead of doing anything. I had moved the tank temp up to 82 and starting putting some ampicilan into the tank in case it is a fungus. Any ideas??

Last edited:

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I am not an Axie person and I am sure you will get lots of help. One thing, well two actually, that strikes me is that what you describe might indeed be a fungus. If so Ampicillin is an antibiotic and will have no effect on the fungus. You need an anti-fungal and they are rather dose dependant. If too light it will be ineffective. If too heavy it will be toxic. You will definetly need the help of a vet or someone like Ed who can get you accurate dosing info. The secong thing is increasing the tank temp. Most pathogens and disease processes will not be deterred by the increased temp. Many in fact will in turn see an increase in activity. Additionally, the higher temp will stress the Axie and that will lower its ability to mount an effective immune response. Not that he/she will be able to do it alone but with proper meds and TLC..... Good luck and keep us posted

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like fungus. The usual treatment is salt baths, although I don't know for certain that this is used for caecilians.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
Can you measure the water temperature on top of the platform? I have heard that caecilians are more susceptible to fungus if they are too cold, so perhaps the water there is too cool for them.

martya

Reaction score
Sorry I could not help you sooner but maybe if you get more babies this will help. In my experience natans babies get that fungus usually as a result of improper water quality. I find the babies are VERY sensitive to their water and when I get babies I do 15-20% water changes daily. I find that this is needed for around 4 months or so before you can back off a bit. (I have actually lost babies after 3 months when I eased up on my water changes, so now I play it very safe.) Other than that I keep my babies about the same as my adults, with maybe 2'F warmer water.

PS - as im sure you've found out, that fungus usually leads to death within a day or two so treatment would be very difficult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1