More laoensis eggs.

darthsteveo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found 12-15 more laoensis eggs in the ole aquarium last night. 4 eggs deposited a few weeks earlier turned out to be no good. It looks like some of this new batch are already getting fuzzy. Hopefully some of these new eggs will hatch out. The females do a remarkable job of hiding the eggs between plant leaves. Some of this new batch I would have never seen without looking in the aquarium at night with a flashlight from multiple angles.
-Steve

Hi Steve, I hope these eggs fair better than the previous.
You may have posted this information already elsewhere, but can you tell us a little about the set up - what temps and size of tank, how many adults and their ages, what plants, lighting, etc? I am curious!
Heather

Hi Heather. I have 2.4 newts. I am not sure of their age. I keep them in a 40 breeder with about 10 inches of water. The substrate is sandy. There are several upright red brick towers and 2 foam islands with sheet moss over top. The temp average is 63 degrees F. The aquarium light is on for 8 hours. I have lots of live plants in there. They seem to like to lay eggs on the Amazon swords, but I'm sure any long broad leaf plant will do. Look for 2 plant leaves to be unusually pressed together at strange angles in your tank and there are probably eggs in the middle. Hope this helps.
-Steve

Thanks for the added information Steve. I do not have any laoensis myself but want to learn as much as possible how others house theirs - I am keenly interested in obtaining some when the opportunity presents itself!
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back