John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
More photos of one of my Ambystoma mavortium mavortium larvae. Taken tonight, he/she wasn't in the mood to cooperate (give me axolotls any day in that regard). These make my previous effort look rather amateurish (which I set out to do!). Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC_0723.jpg
    DSC_0723.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 35,313
  • DSC_0727.jpg
    DSC_0727.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 19,314
  • DSC_0735.jpg
    DSC_0735.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 45,470
Last edited:
Gorgeous pictures of A. m. mavortium. Did you collect only a single larva or is this one just the better model of the group? :D The color is just amazing on these animals.

yes, agreed the colours are stunning! love the pics as well, show off the colours and characteristics perfectly!

Alex

They seem to have iridophores with the xanthophores, so they don't look that shiny yellow until light hits them. I collected 3 larvae, and they all have the same colouration. This one is the model simply because his fins are intact. The other two have imperfect fins, probably due to fish in the pond they came from.

Actually, if you have Petranka's Salamanders of the United States and Canada, he makes several references to specimens that were collected from the same pond as these guys back in the 1970s. These are the "large-bodied" Ambystoma mavortium mavortium he talks about a few times in the species account. They come from a population that was once largely neotenic, at least until a decade or so ago. I suspect these three will metamorphose though because there is a large population of goldfish in the pond now, as well as turtles, and I found no neotenic animals.

Excellent shots John, I'm sure you have said this is a thread somewhere else and this might be a bit off-topic, but may I ask which camera + lens you shot these with?

Check my profile.

Here's a subsection of the first image at 100% (i.e. original size).

Attachments

• temp_DSC_0723.jpg
    temp_DSC_0723.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,237
What a beautiful looking creature! :D
I wonder if it would ever be possible to breed Axolotls of this colouring... I've been looking at all the different morphs of Corn Snakes recently. It left me wondering whether with selective breeding, how many variants of Axolotl colouring could breeders create?

I think it's possible but it would be a lot of work.

Yea, especially becuase its one of the rare Enigma Axolotls

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back