More new additions- Cynops pyrrhogaster (sasayame)

Thankyou :D The blue is definitely more noticeable when I take photo's. The males have gotten much bluer over the last few weeks and are merrily stomping around the tank and abusing their plants and bugging the females .

Using flash certainly does make the iridophores shine but when the males are at their most colourful if you use the right lighting they are just as spectacular as when you use the flash. I sometimes can´t believe how gorgeous these newts can get!

The shot of the open mouth is asking to be presented at the caption´s thread, just saying...

This thread is very interesting to me because as my juvenile pyrrho's have grown i've found that mine have the same traits as your group when they were young. I have 7 that are slender and more colourful, but also fussy feeders, and 2 that are darker and will eat anything. The darker 2 were the 1'st to morph by over 3 weeks and went back a fully aquatic life with minimal fuss, whereas the slender ones wouldn't so much as get their feet wet until they were over a month old and are still fickle feeders, even now.

I was wondering how the two types turned out when they grew up, and if you can still tell the difference? Here's some (poor, they just won't play ball :) ) pictures of what the two types i have look like..

Attachments

• SAM_0914.jpg
    SAM_0914.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_0915.jpg
    SAM_0915.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 225
To be honest, I couldn't tell which ones they were. I wish I had taken belly shots as it would maybe confirm if they were different sexes. The two females still have red patterned bellies.
The smallest one caused me endless worry as it just wouldn't grow. I had suspected there may have been some underlying health problem. I was once again persuaded by Eva to home some little juveniles, the smallest one was the same size as the new additions and was added to this group. With in maybe a month it grew and is now only a little smaller than its siblings.. it has now been returned to the main tank and is merrily swimming around with the other four. I shall watch closely to see what sex it may be.
The new additions are growing nicely and may soon join the others.They have lovely markings and have been very happy to be aquatic and eat beautifully.. I suspect they were taught well by their breeder :)

It's crossed my mind that the greedy/dark ones might be the males, the dark ones also have shorter tails than the slender ones.

One of my poor females is being harassed by all the males..she thought this was a good way to hide :rolleyes: It seemed to work because they left her alone. I however grew concerned as she stayed like this for some time, so felt the need to check she wasn't trapped. She was fine, but as soon as I removed her,the others returned to harassing her.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 147
Hilarious! It always amazes me that the females spend days or even weeks avoiding or running away from the males, why don't they just get courtship/breeding out the way early and then spend the rest of the year eating worms or hanging from the plants by their tails with full tummies! :)

Ingenious. Did you let the newts watch a documentary about ostriches recently?

My attention was drawn to their tank...this is the first thing I see. One lone male is poised on his tippy toes. Meanwhile one of the zeppelin females is being harassed by the other males and doing circuits. As soon as she approaches this male starts frantically fanning her.she escapes and the cycle is repeated.

Attachments

• 20150125_142121.jpg
    20150125_142121.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 111
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back