Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphed axolotl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryrybvb

Reaction score
posibly, my axolotl, dusk,(a melanoid) has morphed, to see if it had in fact morphed, axolotls do not have nostrils unless they have morphed, so tae him/her out of the water, and examine the front of his head, above his mouth, and if he has two small holes, you will know if e has indeed morphed, i will post a photo of my axie to show you exactly what to expect from a meta-axolotl

ryrybvb

Reaction score
Re: Can an axolotl be partially morphed?

these pictures are of my morphed axolotl. water is perfect, but just to be sure, build a litle island for him/her to climb out and breathe

Attachments

• 2013-02-26 15.42.19.jpg
    2013-02-26 15.42.19.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,670
  • 2013-02-24 19.57.54.jpg
    2013-02-24 19.57.54.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,402
  • 2013-02-26 15.41.50.jpg
    2013-02-26 15.41.50.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 715

ryrybvb

Reaction score

btw he does not eat the gravel i have, he lifts his head before he feeds

FX1C

Reaction score
btw he does not eat the gravel i have, he lifts his head before he feeds

:eek:
What about at night when he's searching for food???

Seriously will ALL of the posts on here about gravel - it's hard to imagine anyone still having in a tank!!! :(
Please change it out! It's just commonsense to listen to the consensus on here & follow it!

All my axolotls have what appear to be nostrils & they aren't morphed. :p
I think eyelids are the give away ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

ryrybvb

Reaction score

he doens ever eat out of water, and there are no gravel underwater

EJgraydon

Reaction score

ryrybvb I'm going to agree with Nikki, not only because of the outstanding information on the danger it will cause to an axolotl, but also because you have 12 posts, compared to her almost 1k, and you have no rep compared to hers.

FX1C

Reaction score
these pictures are of my morphed axolotl. water is perfect, but just to be sure, build a litle island for him/her to climb out and breathe

These pictures clearly show gravel!

Regardless of the fact that you haven't witnessed him eating it does not mean he doesn't - following their nocturnal instincts to forage for food cannot be changed.

Please do not defend the use of gravel - I'm sick of seeing axolotls dying stuffed full of gravel like beany babies - it's not fair to your lotl to not change it.

As for rep - I don't know if mine is good or bad (I'm on tapatalk) & to be honest I don't care about rep - I may be harsh sometimes, but it's because hearing people try & justify their cruelty to their animals is unacceptable & gets me steaming!

Keeping any axolotl on gravel is like
breaking the #1 cardinal rule
It's so easy to rectify too - then you can rest assured you've reduced the risk of impaction greatly & keeping your lotl healthy & happy should be your number 1 priority.

<3 >o_o< <3

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

posibly, my axolotl, dusk,(a melanoid) has morphed, to see if it had in fact morphed, axolotls do not have nostrils unless they have morphed, so tae him/her out of the water, and examine the front of his head, above his mouth, and if he has two small holes, you will know if e has indeed morphed, i will post a photo of my axie to show you exactly what to expect from a meta-axolotl

Axolotl have nostrils, it is not a sign that it has morphed.

iChris

Reaction score

ryrybvb, your axoltol has not morphed. morphed axoltols, just like it's closest relative the tiger salamander do not ever enter the water, at all except to breed.

it has not got the characteristic flat tail that a terrestrial animal would have for a start. it also still has gill stubs.

stop torturing your animal and please stop spreading misinformation.

ryrybvb

Reaction score

it has not been in the water for 2 weeks....

ryrybvb

Reaction score

FYI: these photos were taken almost 3 weeks ago, the gravel is no longer there , has been out of the water for 2 weeks almost, never to my eyes gone back in.
Also, i am not spreading misinformation, i am merely saying what i think, i am not treating him badly by not giving him water at all, just a island if he wanted to go up, and another thing, my other axolotl, does not have nostrils.

iChris

Reaction score
you cannot force a axotol to morph by simply removing the water. it will die before it morphs. it is exceptionally rare for a axoltol to morph as animals sold for the pet trade have had the ability to morph completely bred out of them as a result of decades of in and selective breeding to produce colour variations we see today. and if it morphs, it will severely shorten it's life span, by a good 10 years or so.

they don't even morph in their native habitat.

oceanblue

Reaction score
To me the eyes do look like a morphed axolotl rather than an abused aquatic one! Has the back fin completely gone and the tail changed to round?

Morphed axolotls have a chequered history, they are sometimes already poor abused creatures with metabolic problems but some, particularly if artificially or spontaneously morphed at about the size tiger salamanders morph may go on to live long lives.

I'm glad you have got rid of the gravel, make sure this beast has access to both land and water for the next few weeks and if you are sure it is morphed and happy out of water set up a tiger salamander like setup for it. There is a care sheet on the caudata culture web site via the link just below the banner of this site.

AMurry24537

Reaction score

DO NOT BASE IT ON WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE NOSTRILS. Many un-morphed axolotls, mine included, have nostrils. This is not a sign of them morphing. Also, do NOT take your axolotl out of water at all if you can avoid it. They cannot breath well outside water and you are likely to damage their slime coat, possibly leading to infections or tears in their skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!