Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphed axolotls!!!

nina89

Reaction score
I found this disturbing sale of multiple axolotls that have been morphed, and though I havn't seen many morphed axies I cant be sure, but i think they may not all be fully morphed. I do not agree with morphing an axolotl its cruel, and it saddens me allot to see this type of **** going on with axies all over Australia at the moment (and all over the world I assume) There are obviously allot of people who dont care about the welfare of the animal(if you've looked up morphing 9/10 times it states it is not any easy or harmless process for the axie). and I thought I'd share this with you guys because maybe a little awareness spread by us here on caudata could help just the smallest bit.

There was a post on caudata not even a year ago if i recall that has many other examples but i couldnt find it. I have seen them in a local petshop before and the lady that worked there didnt even no that the animal she was selling started as, and still is an Ambystoma Mexicanum. I also told her about the process and she wasn't too happy and hopefully she wont be getting any more in (I havn't been back there since though so I hope she didn't)

DONT BUY MORPHED AXOLOTLS, YOUR ONLY SUPPORTING THE CRUEL PROCESS OF MORPHING, THAT FUTURE AXIES WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH

Here are some pics of the advertisement

Attachments

• morphs.jpeg
    morphs.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4,051
  • morph.jpeg
    morph.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 10,235
Last edited by a moderator:

Paivi

Reaction score
Oh my god, I didn't even realise there are people out there that actually do that just to make a sale! And others who are ready to buy them :-( How therribly sad indeed! I know it can happen naturally at times (quite rarely though, I assume) but that someone would do that on purpose, just for money, or whatever their motivation might be, is beyond me! I wonder if this could actually be classified as animal abuse? It's not far from it!

Thank you for sharing! Opened my eyes and hopefully now, as I know about it, I can educate others, should the situation arise.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Oh how awful!! Poor little guys! How awful. I cant say I'm surprised though...considering people put tiny LIVE baby turtles and fish into keychains in china, and tons of people buy them. People are either misinformed, or just dont care, and want what they want :(

DeCypher

Reaction score
This is unbelievable. Is this reportable material? This is abusive, insensitive and neglectful. This angers me.

mshine1217

Reaction score
:mad::mad::mad: The poor creatures!!! Their gorgeous gills are one of the mosting amazing thing features, besides their [personalities. How sad.

Cheva

Reaction score
Wow! No only is it a cruel process to get them to this point, people would be unknowingly buying something with a intensely brief lifespan ? Have you considered shooting the folks at the RSPCA an email regarding this? Perhaps they could look into it.. .

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
I'd also recommend trying to report this. However, in the USA, amphibians and reptiles are not even considered animals by law, just property. Dont know how it is anywhere else, but here its pointless to complain. :'(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1