Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mosquito larvae for axolotls?

tmorgan

Reaction score
I was wondering if I would be able to feed my axolotls mosquito larvae? I have a pond that recently got a LOT of the pests. So I thought it would be easy to catch them and use them for food? ;) I have plenty of earthworms in my worm garden... I'm mostly just curious. :)
I didn't see any info on axolotls eating these so I thought I would ask. ^_^

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mosquito larvae are a good alternative food for newts, but worms are always the best. I don't know about axolotls specifically, however.

tmorgan

Reaction score
Oh well I guess it's food for my little brother's fishies! :) I'd rather be safe than sorry!
Thank you!

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi I have 5 baby Axolotls born in June and they are thriving on the Mosquito lava. I have loads in the pond and feed them very successfully. I also have three waterbutts and can collect bloodworms from there for them and I think probably they are more nutrious.
The good thing with the mosquito lava it moves alot and the Axies respond well to movement to stimulate the eating.:happy:

tmorgan

Reaction score
Acephonechic:
Thank you very much for letting me know! Yeah I was thinking that the larvae would enjoy them simply because of the movement. I don't have any larvae... yet. ;) Maybe next year I will be able to harvest some for larvae. I currently have 2 juveniles and they are loving those earth worms.

Last edited by a moderator:

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi Can I ask how large the Axolotls are, I want to try baby worms as I certainly do not fancy having to cut up worms. I have also noticed a large amount of daphnia in the pond as well and they love these.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!