Moss balls

brillobee

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've seen a few pictures of moss balls in axolotl tanks. Do these help with the nitrates? Would you recommend them? Also s Eco complete substrate safe? My 29 gal was planted and is full of it. It is pretty fine, but does have some big rocks.

Last edited:
Moss balls and live plants in general help with nitrates. It's just that moss balls require less light and are easier to look after.

Also, about the substrate. If you're going to use it in an axolotl's tank, you need to remove the larger rock pieces. If you have some sort of wire strainer, you can easily pick out the larger chunks while preserving the finer material.

Well any live plant with help a little with nitrates ect but moss balls are slow growing so wont really contribute THAT much, however they look cute enough and my axies like to sit on top of them like a little sofa :D

If we are talking actual balls i think you are refering to Cladophora, or marimo balls, which are not a moss, they are algae. I understand that in the right conditions these grow fast, or so i´m hoping since i just got a small one.

Mine are marmio balls, i dont have a tank light and mine grow slowly but ive just split a large one to make lots of little ones so that might have something to do with it haha you might have more luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back