Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mouth Agape, little white dots on skin

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a hot minute since I've been on here.
I just recieved a golden albino axolotl yesterday from a younger girl who had 3, and this fella started attacking the other ones. I named him Roger.

Roger is well fed, doesn't appear to have any physical deformities or abnormalities, no fungus or anything alarming.
However, his little mouth is always slightly open. I my axolotls passed away over a year ago and I don't remember them having their mouths open always, but when I just looked back at old photos my golden albino had his mouth open too in all the photos.
Roger also has little white dots all over him(I'm talking about dots, not the shiny spots they normally have).
I will note that all the axolotl from around here come from the same lines (I figured out after getting to know other enthusiasts from the province) so maybe the mouth thing has to do with inbreeding?

Attachments

• 20220503_175028.jpg
    20220503_175028.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,360
  • 20220503_174856.jpg
    20220503_174856.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
The mouth thing could be a result of inbreeding but it could also be a result of bacterial infection. Was he properly quarantined before being added to the tank?

fishkid

Reaction score
the dots just look like colouring to me, not iridophores which are the shiny ones but I don't think they look like something to worry about. Not sure about the mouth, I've been noticing mine often does the same. if there's a risk of bacterial infection I'd go to a vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!