Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving T. Verr from a land to a water setup

newtron

Reaction score
I bought a pair of lovely yearling T. Verr from Mike Shrom a year ago and i kept them in a land based set up ever since. I have been trying to move them to a more water based set up recently with no success. Does anyone have any strategies to get them to move into the water? They are the water variant but shy away from water.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting them in a 50=50 tank and giving them some time? Mine are very curious and I bet after a week at most, they would be all over it.

newtron

Reaction score
they are in a 50/50 land water setup. it has been two days and so far they show no interest in making that big leap into water. they do display curiousity but are extremely reluctant and fearful of entering the water.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How deep is the water? You might want to start at one inch or so and work it up. I"m actually very surprised, but I'd give it more time. I'll still bet that by the time a week is over, they will go for it and realize how much they love it. Not that you should force them, but to make a stretched analogy, baby otters have to be FORCED to learn to swim! Just give them time and I'm sure they'll come around.

newtron

Reaction score
The water is only an inch thick so far. I have a fluval filter with two pieces of corkwood to serve as land. ill post a picture of my set up soon. im really hoping they would take to the water, as it is too warm in the city for them.

newtron

Reaction score
here is my set up. i still dont know what i am doing wrong considering they are the more aquatic species of newts.

Attachments

• 2011-12-04_17-34-38_676.jpg
    2011-12-04_17-34-38_676.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 826

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And he just stays on that little spot? Wow, I'm amazed. Here is my setup:

Anyway, I'd give him more time. IF he doesn't take to it after a week, I'd give him more land and try again in a few months. It should be cooler now anyway. Maybe try again in April, but still give him the rest of the week to try.

Attachments

• E&EUrodelarium1.JPG
    E&EUrodelarium1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 765

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend taking the Fluval filter out for the time being. Even if you have the flow rate turned down, it is too much for such a small tank. I have many tanks like this with no filter, just an airstone or nothing at all (with a screen lid). The filter is not essential.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I would remove the filter, too. Also, make sure the water is warm enough. This species will only go aquatic if the water temperature is around 20 deg. C +. 22-23 seems to be ideal.

C

newtron

Reaction score
i noticed the water was a bit discolored, brownish, when i went to clean the tank. might have something to do with their acceptance for water? i soaked the wood for a week already but it still seems to be leaching. any recommendations?

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I don't think the color of the water due to the leaching of the driftwood is the cause. The wood will leach for months without any ill effects to the newts. I think it has more to do with temperature and strong water current.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!