Multilevel ideas

Liz Roome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking if change my tank around a bit, I have a skull with but tables which my axies adore, but they can't really get inside it anymore, I also have a half moulded log and a tree root ornament, they love to climb under the roots and around the top.

I want to have something that gives more of a 2 level effect in part of the tank, but I am not sure what I need to do this, or if there are things I can buy that give me better levels or hides.

I don't really like the log if I'm honest, my axies used to love it but not so much mow.
Do your axies have favourite places to investigate, should I invest I plants as well?

Ideas welcome. Tank is 125 litre. Thanks

I bought some slate tiles and made a little 'shelf' for my axie to sit on. I 'glued' them together with aquarium sealant.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3492.jpg
    IMG_3492.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 246
I bought a plastic corner shower caddy off Amazon. Was pretty cheap, it has suckers round the edges so you dont have glue anything in. It works really well, is a nice large size that fits perfectly in my 180l tank and you can put things on it. I just put sand on mine to blend in with the rest of the tank and my axie loves it :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 322
I love slate, but it's quite expensive.

Anna, that is such an innovative idea! I love it. I can't reach the bottom of my tanks easily, I think I could use a shelf like this for a feeding shelf, would be less messy.

All great ideas, and I have ordered some moss which is attached to some kind of plastic which can be wrapped around things, not totally sure what I will use the moss for yet, but I am seeing possibilities with levelling.

I love slate, but it's quite expensive.

What I bought was a couple 'sample' tiles from amazon - 4 inch by 4 inch tiles that were like 3 bucks each :) Pretty cheap to me.

I am setting up a new tank at the moment and I am also trying to make some different levels, I cut slate into shape (and smoothed the sharp edges). I put this together quickly and I plan on making this taller so it can be used as a hide to. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 238
balanced just now but the tank is empty, plan on using silicone when I know i am happy with it.

Home Depot has slate tiles in various sizes. I bought some 12x12, package of 5 was around $8. Then a package of small rectangles, squares and I think 6x6 squares. Total cost was probably $30. Will try to post a picture if I can. I have made 2 hides so far with a lot of tile left.

20140623_104204_zpsd35d5063.jpg

These were around $5 each.

Home Depot has slate tiles in various sizes. I bought some 12x12, package of 5 was around $8. Then a package of small rectangles, squares and I think 6x6 squares. Total cost was probably $30. Will try to post a picture if I can. I have made 2 hides so far with a lot of tile left.

I would definitely go for plants as well - my axies love to get 'tangled' up in the plants and sort of float in the middle, or swim up and sink down on top of the plants. I have a mix of live and realistic looking artificial plants that seems to please them.

Plants and caves in mine and they love logs and this thingy: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=111258031846 - they hide under, swim around and also chill on the shelves under the filter - it also works to break the filter current:)) my best buy so far!
u5a5a7e8.jpg
ysu8a2u9.jpg
sahujedy.jpg
ze7u7ujy.jpg
za3a6evu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back