Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axololt is swimming back and forth in tank

Brittanymurphy8630

Reaction score
My axololt is swimming back and forth in tank for three days now in a row. She is just pacing for three days in a row. She looks healthy and fine. Water parameters are perfect at ammonia 0ppm, nitrates 10ppm and nitrites at 0ppm. Water temperature is 61 degrees cold. No other axololts in the tank with her. I have no idea what is wrong with her. I have taken her out of the tank and she does this in the hospital tank back and forth. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

wolfen

Reaction score
unless her gills are curved and tail end is hooked then it could just be boredom, try putting some live shrimp in the tank to give her something to hunt.

SirGeraldLancelotl

Reaction score
Gosh, I’d be worried too. My guy, Gerald, did that when the flow was too high from my filter and air stones. Have there been any changes to your water supply? sometimes municipalities add things to the tap water that could cause reactions like this. Do you have bright lights? Maybe a dark hide would help. Please reply with an update.

Brittanymurphy8630

Reaction score
Gosh, I’d be worried too. My guy, Gerald, did that when the flow was too high from my filter and air stones. Have there been any changes to your water supply? sometimes municipalities add things to the tap water that could cause reactions like this. Do you have bright lights? Maybe a dark hide would help. Please reply with an update.
It turns out her metabolism has slowed down and she is over fed at my fault. I have her fidged by my vets request to help mimic the hibernation temperature to help expell whatever is inside her. I'm hoping it will work! I will keep you posted. Thanks 😊 🫂

Brittanymurphy8630

Reaction score
So I've taken her to the vet twice now. They told me to put her in the fridge and she has been in there for 9 days now. Still no poop and she isn't interested in eating. I am taking her back to the vet on Monday for another check up. Her cloaca is so swollen and belly is swollen. When she was at the vet they did a scan on her belly and everything looked great no impaction all they saw was alot of food in her belly. She did a small poop while there but this was on the 21st. Now she has red dappling all over her body and I am so so so worried about her. She is still pacing in the tub in the fridge as well just not as frantically as she was in the tank. I hope that she will be ok.

wolfen

Reaction score
refer to https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-s...Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf under water supply follow instructions for housing for adult axolotls in 50% holtfreters (check your high range ph, if it is above 7.8 don't use calcium chloride or bicarbonate of soda as you have enough calcium and carbonates in the water, just use salt potassium chloride and magnesium sulphate), show vet the section on diseases and treatment (this is where a vet is needed) in the section there is antibiotics that can be used and what for, the red dappling is a concern and needs to be investigated.

holliehewitt

Reaction score
unless her gills are curved and tail end is hooked then it could just be boredom, try putting some live shrimp in the tank to give her something to hunt.
Oh yes, that's a very good idea)))
A couple of years ago a friend gave me three shrimp, just like that. I hooked them up with my axolotl in the aquarium. I could not even think that they would be food for him. I don't really understand it, I'm a writer who will always help a student do my paper on https://writemypapers4me.net. In my opinion, the shrimp were fast enough to get him for lunch. But what was my surprise when after a while I just did not see them, I hope he liked it.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!