My axolotl has developed mucosy lenses over its eyes

Mitch - You really do need to test for nitrites. You tank has only been set up for 3 weeks and I would think nitrites would be high.

Having your axolotl go through the ammonia and nitrite cycle are probably what is causing its illness now. You can see that its gills have shrunk and are missing most all of the filiments. The fungus is taking hold because your axolotl is stressed from the water conditions.

Just to be on the safe side I would suggest keeping your axolotl in a container that is 1 gallon sized or larger but small enough that you can change the water in it every day. Keep this water cool and clean.

Keep the axolotl out of the tank until you can test for nitrites and nitrates. If your nitrites are elevated at all do not put the axolotl back in the tank until they read zero.

(Message edited by cynorita on June 26, 2005)

good news people my axy looks like hes on the road to recovery. his eyes are clearing up and his gill filiments are growing back. i've decided that he must off had something called cloudy eye, which fish are spose to sometimes get (i used melafix and pimafix and that seems to be clearing up). and the reason his gills were gone was due to the high levels of nitrite. thanks alot for making me aware of the poor quality of the workers at my local pet store. and thanks for everyones help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back