Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl hasn’t eaten in weeks

BigAl

Reaction score
Good! I hope he does good! I’m confident he will
I got him to bite some twice (he usually does it once and ignores me after that), but he spat it out immediately. Maybe a microscopic bit got into him, buts that being optimistic. I’m going to keep trying with it because for a while he seemed interested. When food falls past him he doesn’t even try to catch it, but moves away to avoid me (once again, no changes here).I’ll update if there are any changes- thanks for the continued support

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I got him to bite some twice (he usually does it once and ignores me after that), but he spat it out immediately. Maybe a microscopic bit got into him, buts that being optimistic. I’m going to keep trying with it because for a while he seemed interested. When food falls past him he doesn’t even try to catch it, but moves away to avoid me (once again, no changes here).I’ll update if there are any changes- thanks for the continued support
Ugh I’m so sorry! My little girl didn’t eat yesterday or this morning, because I lost her tongs she’s refusing to eat the worms without. The are very frustrating some times! If it goes another day, I would strongly recommend force feeding. He won’t like it, but if it’s been more than 3 weeks that’s very dangerous. Hope he starts eating!

BigAl

Reaction score
Ugh I’m so sorry! My little girl didn’t eat yesterday or this morning, because I lost her tongs she’s refusing to eat the worms without. The are very frustrating some times! If it goes another day, I would strongly recommend force feeding. He won’t like it, but if it’s been more than 3 weeks that’s very dangerous. Hope he starts eating!
Thanks, I hope you find your tongs

BigAl

Reaction score
@BigAl

How is your axolotl doing? Have you had success?
In fact I have! He’s eaten a couple pieces of salmon in the past week. Still not back to normal but definitly getting there. He was very unhappy in the quarantine tub - and was much happier when I put him in his tank, and eventually showed interest towards his food. Couldn’t have done it without all of the replies, I was preparing for him to die so thanks for saving little waffle’s life

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Aw, I've seen entirely too many pets die over the years, the draw back of having a veterinarian for a mom (lots of pets). I'm glad your little guy is doing better!

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Hello there everyone. I have an issue with my axolotl that if anyone had any insight on, would be greatly appreciated.
My 2-3 year old axolotl hasn’t eaten for the past couple of weeks and at this point I’m getting desperate. I’ve since taken him out of his tank and into a separate one and have been giving him salt baths every day for the past couple of days. I tested his water in the main tank and everything seems fine. He would show interest when he sees me bringing some food for him, but when I drop it he mostly doesn’t react, and very rarely when he does snap to catch it he spits it right back out! I feed him on a diet of pellets and occasionally bloodworms. It’s also worth noting there has been little activity when it comes to pooping, but then again he’s had nothing to eat and if he was blocked up he probably would’ve worked it out by now.About a year ago this same thing happened but it was because of a fungal infection which I treated, and I thought this might be the case again as I have no idea what else it could be, and I thought maybe I saw signs of it along his back fin. His tail is also slightly curled, to add to the worry.

I’ve been reading up on issues like this, but finally found it time to post about it to try and get some feedback. Anything would be appreciated - maybe I should try fridging him ? I included a picture of his back fin below for more clarity (also yes, he doesn’t have back feet, but he’s working on them!) Thank you you time and for reading this post.
sounds crazy but he could very well just not want that food anymore. I would try earth worms & a different brand of pellets! also check and see if the water currents are strong that could be a cause of stress. I would not do any more salt baths or treatments of any kind because that’s probably not the issue and can do more harm than good. Best of luck ♥️

lionfish12

Reaction score
Hi calgarycopper
I just got a new small axolotis but he/she is not eating. For food you mentioned blackworms - is that live or frozen? thanks

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
@lionfish12

Try tagging the person you're trying to reach, it may help them notice. Just hit the at symbol and type their name, it'll load the names, click on who you need. I personally do not know about blackworms, whatever those technically are but when my axolotl was a baby, we ordered some specific pellets for her, I'll leave a link to them. We had to coax her up to the surface and then drop them on top and let them sink, her natural instinct to lunge at the food worked. Has yours been reacting to you? Like, bright, alert, and responsive?

That link is to the person's Etsy we buy food from. You can choose the size and quantity.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi calgarycopper
I just got a new small axolotis but he/she is not eating. For food you mentioned blackworms - is that live or frozen? thanks
That’s live! You cannot feed babies pellets. It will stunt there growth and pellets really don’t have enough nutrients.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Yeah, live food plus pellets are needed for the nutrients, unless blackworms or whatever have all they need. Again, unfamiliar with blackworms. Not a name we use in my area.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Always live blackworms to entice the hunt.

you can feed pellets to babies and many breeders do use pellets and it promotes growth with condensed nutrition for feeding many mouths.

How big is this baby?

Hi calgarycopper

lionfish12

Reaction score
hi,
the axolotis is about 4 inches long. how long can they go without eating? If i ordered blackworms today it will be a few days before I get them. Do you keep them in the refrigerator or at room temperature? What do they eat? Any advice would help. thanks!

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Well, since I know nothing of blackworms, I'll give you the lowdown from the perspective of an earthworm. I just buy a container of life ones from my local pet store. On days I change my axolotl's water, I give her a worm for enduring the intrusive action. The earthworms just sit in my fridge (NOT THE FREEZER), I've been working on the same tub for like 3 weeks now, they're all still alive. I am just assuming that will be how things are with the blackworms but you'll have to get a more accurate confirmation. According to me, a blackworm is "lumbriculus variegatus" but common names for bugs and whatnot are wildly different depending on the US state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!