Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl hatchlings arent growing. help

Duchessez

Reaction score
These guys hatched about a month or two ago and started grew a decent amount and it appears that they have stopped growing. They are about 1.5cm long and do not have legs yet. I feed them baby brine shrimp twice a day. Is there anything i can do for them or is this normal? help.

Attachments

• DA45C359-F2C5-4622-A41F-E472560FD4D5.jpeg
    DA45C359-F2C5-4622-A41F-E472560FD4D5.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 21F01B2C-F264-4FD9-A1E9-FCA549148B1C.jpeg
    21F01B2C-F264-4FD9-A1E9-FCA549148B1C.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 301

Cloudyn92

Reaction score
Are you changing the water after the brine shrimp feedings? Do you have an air stone?

MnGuy

Reaction score
I think you need to rear them in their own separate tank and not in a container in the grown axolotls' tank.

More space and frequent water changes will help them grow. Same concept as raising baby fish.

Good luck.

MnGuy

Reaction score
oh okay thank you

Good luck.

I had the exact "baby tank" you have in your photos and once kept a single fish in it inside a 20 long and the fish died because there is incredibly poor circulation/water flow/oxygen flow between the water in the small container and the main tank.

Those holes are small and there are not enough of them spread over a large enough area.

That said, I would still not recommend raising baby axolotls of baby fish in a smaller container (even if it was all-mesh and had better circulation) in a larger tank. They will always do their best in their own separate tank.

MnGuy

Reaction score
oh okay thank you

Good luck.

I had the exact "baby tank" you have in your photos and once kept a single fish in it inside a 20 long and the fish died because there is incredibly poor circulation/water flow/oxygen flow between the water in the small container and the main tank.

Those holes are small and there are not enough of them spread over a large enough area.

That said, I would still not recommend raising baby axolotls of baby fish in a smaller container (even if it was all-mesh and had better circulation) in a larger tank. They will always do their best in their own separate tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!