My axolotl is eating duckweed

Crptid

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Over the last week i have noticed the amount of duckweed in the tank diminishing at first I thought it was just the snails but i recently noticed that in fact it is my little axolotl is eating it. What I want to know is could this be bad for him? also i just as i am writing this noticed him cough up a large number of semi digested leaves (like an owl pellet). should the duckweed go?

Also is this behavior normal if not why is he doing this?

I have one that seems to like duckweed too :) It haven't seen any problems from him eating it.

Axies tend to snap at anything that moves when they are hungry - and they are always hungry! Anything they can't digest will be regurgitated.
My axies will try and bite real and plastic plants, each other, any hand that goes in the tank, bubbles from the airstone, the turkey baster when I'm poop-scooping, and even reflections in the glass on the side of the tank.
As the saying goes.....silly lotls!

Thank you for the information, i was just a bit concerned when i saw him spit up a lump of leaves but i'm glad to know this is normal behavior.

Yes, mine eat it occasionally too. I've never noticed any issues from them chomping on the duck weed ;-)

duckweed is a very high protein plant I have seen frogs and salamanders eating it before, they seem to be able to digest it without any issues,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back