My axolotl is floating on his side :/

• Thread starter Deleted member 42230
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42230

Hi friends,

My axolotl and I are having a tough time, and I don't know how to help him. :(

He hasn't pooped in over a week. He's been floating hunched, sideways, and sometimes rolls upside down. His tail is curled. He does move every so often, spastically twitching. He did eat two fresh earthworms last Saturday. I fridged him for two days and currently am just tubbing him in low water. I've attached a couple pictures.

Please let me know if you can offer any guidance.

Tank parameters (20gallons)
-I use the Tetra Whisper 10filter, and the flow is angled toward the side of the tank.
-I started the last cycle on 5/21/21 when I came home from college.
-pH: 5.8 (Seachem Alert Series)---It was at 7.0 until this evening when I tried to put him back in.
-Ammonia: <.02 ppm (Seachem Alert Series)
-There is no substrate, no tankmates/plants/rocks/small objects that he could have swallowed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210602_023000484.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210602_023000484.NIGHT.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 308
  • PXL_20210602_023029997.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210602_023029997.NIGHT.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I went and got a master kit this morning to double check the tank levels.
pH is low (acidic) at 6.0 and nitrate read as 10 ppm. I did a 20% water change and am picking up some API pH UP this afternoon.

Your problem is likely that your tank isn't fully cycled. It usually takes a couple of months or more to fully establish a healthy tank, and the 2 weeks or so since you started cycling yours is nowhere near enough time. Your pH is also dangerously low. You'll want it to be at least 7.5 or higher. Try raising the pH with crushed (or whole) coral or some pieces of limestone rather than using chemicals since axies are so sensitive.

In the meantime keep your axolotl tubbed and do 100% water changes everyday until your tank is finished cycling (water changes for the tub, not your tank). You can try giving your axolotl a black tea bath as well to soothe its skin (from your pictures it looks like his slime coat is sloughing off) and help him feel a bit better.

Hopefully your axie will get feeling better soon!

Your problem is likely that your tank isn't fully cycled. It usually takes a couple of months or more to fully establish a healthy tank, and the 2 weeks or so since you started cycling yours is nowhere near enough time. Your pH is also dangerously low. You'll want it to be at least 7.5 or higher. Try raising the pH with crushed (or whole) coral or some pieces of limestone rather than using chemicals since axies are so sensitive.

In the meantime keep your axolotl tubbed and do 100% water changes everyday until your tank is finished cycling (water changes for the tub, not your tank). You can try giving your axolotl a black tea bath as well to soothe its skin (from your pictures it looks like his slime coat is sloughing off) and help him feel a bit better.

Hopefully your axie will get feeling better soon!
Hi EllieWind,

I really appreciate your help. I'll do my best to cycle the tank for the next few weeks. That makes a lot of sense. I've had to move several times in the past year, always taking him with me, and feel bad for not being more conscious of it.

Thanks also for catching his coat. I gave him a tea bath this morning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back