Illness/Sickness: My axolotl is losing his frills

Lebald

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I purchased and axolotl last week and can not get him to eat, he was golden and had lovely frills on the side of his head, these have since disappeared. I have had the water PH tested and it is OK not sure what to do he is still quite active I have posted a picture any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Fiddy.JPG
    Fiddy.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Fiddy 2.JPG
    Fiddy 2.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 846
Re: My axolotyl is losing his frills

The first thing I would do is take those lil pebbles out of his tank.. He can swallow them and they can kill him because they are very hard to pass if they dont pass they will kill him...

Next, has he eaten at all for you? What is the temperature in the tank? Is there a filter if so, is there a large current in the water? What are you trying to feed him? has he been pooping at all?

Hes beautiful Just need a lil bit more questions answered to help ya ;)

Thanks for the reply, now to answer your questions,
he has not eaten anything at all and as far as I can tell has not pooped, yes there is a filter in the tank and there seems to be a large current in the water, I have tried to feed him blood worms, meal worms and earthworm, no luck with any of them, I will also remove the pebbles and put a bit of slate in the tank to see if that helps, the temperature of the tank is 24 degrees Celsius, I live in a tropical climate.

Any help would be fantastic.

I just responded to your other post - - -24*C (75*F) is way too hot for an axolotl.

These are cold water animals which means that warm/hot temperatures can and will kill them.

You should keep your water below 21*C (70*F)
A good range is 16-20*C (60*f - 68*F)

Hi, Ive noticed in your first and second picture that he doesnt have a dorsal fin so my guess he turning into a salamander and that probably explains the shrinking of gills and loss of the frills, Keep us updated :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back