MY AXOLOTL IS SUPER SICK

SunnyFlowrr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotl hasn't been eating for the past week and just sleeping. He is super thin and has really small gills. His tail is shrunken and he is very weak. The water levels in the tank currently are gh-180 kh-120-180 ph-7.7 no2-0 no3-20 water temp- 18°C. I have been doing water changes every week, he was doing better before but now I dont know what's wrong and how to help him get back to health. I would really appreciate any help, this has been stressing me so much!!!

do you know the ammonia levels? what type of test are you using?

do you know the ammonia levels? what type of test are you using?
I'm using test strips. I know the water test ones are more accurate so I will be getting one. There are unfortunately no ammonia levels on the strips.

I'm using test strips. I know the water test ones are more accurate so I will be getting one. There are unfortunately no ammonia levels on the strips.
it looks like your water parameters are bad although can't say how bad until you have a accurate test done.
you need to take your axolotl out and tub him/her is fresh dechlorinated water, change his/her water daily, try feeding at night then changing the water in the mornings.
until the water can be checked in the tank this will be the best and easiest thing to do.
if you can get some almond/catappa leaves and put one in the tub with him/her, also put a air-stone in the tub as well to keep the water oxygenated.

it looks like your water parameters are bad although can't say how bad until you have a accurate test done.
you need to take your axolotl out and tub him/her is fresh dechlorinated water, change his/her water daily, try feeding at night then changing the water in the mornings.
until the water can be checked in the tank this will be the best and easiest thing to do.
if you can get some almond/catappa leaves and put one in the tub with him/her, also put a air-stone in the tub as well to keep the water oxygenated.
I'm afraid that doing that might make him worse, today I found him laying upside down motionless at the bottom of the tank, I can tell that he is ill and in pain. I dont know how else I can help him and I really want him to be happy and healthy.

I'm afraid that doing that might make him worse, today I found him laying upside down motionless at the bottom of the tank, I can tell that he is ill and in pain. I think he may be dying 😔. I dont know how else I can help him and I really want him to be happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 20220329_101239.jpg
    20220329_101239.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 112
He also is growing white stuff on him, should I put him in the fridge? Should I give give him a salt bath?

at this stage fridging might slow his/her metabolism down enough to allow him/her to heal, but in the condition he/she is in it could just as likely kill him/her, your axolotl needs to be removed from the tank and tubbed with fresh dechlorinated water, enough that the water is over his/her body but not enough that his/her feet come of the ground so as to prevent turning over. add 3 grams per litre of marine salt to his/her water, do not use salt for human consumption such as table salt as this contains iodine, do not do a salt bath as the stress of using a high dose of salt may be to much, do a water change every morning adding the 3g per ltr salt, read up about using holtfreters solution to get and keep the water to a healthy state info here..http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm. keep his/her water as cold as possible without fridging.
as a recap.. Tub your axolotl, only use enough water to cover, add 3g salt per litre to any water used, 24hr 100% water changes with dechlorinated slightly brackish water, once/if he she recovers and the tank gets cycled use holtfreters or a modified solution in the tank water and every water change, get a air-stone in any water that contains a axolotl to discourage air gulping, get some almond/catappa leaves to help relieve stress and for anti-bacterial.
using salt or holtfreters isn't a miracle cure but it will give the best chance of survival.
get the tank cycled properly.
oh if he/she will accept food feed at night clean in morning.

I'm afraid that doing that might make him worse, today I found him laying upside down motionless at the bottom of the tank, I can tell that he is ill and in pain. I dont know how else I can help him and I really want him to be happy and healthy.
I hope you were able to save him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back