Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl turned green! (he's supposed to be white)

mskayla333

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old axie that is a boy. One day I got some artificial moss and put it in his tank (he seemed to like it). The next day I opened the lid of the tank and found that my axolotl was glowing green. I immediately threw out the moss. I think he might've eaten some or the artificial coloring dissolved in the water (I changed the water too). I've been putting him in clean water and he's been pooping but he's still green (he's still eating and acting normal). Can someone help? Thanks.:confused::(

oceanblue

Reaction score
Don't worry too much, the colour is probably not too toxic and will wear off. Having changed the water watch the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels as the water change and some dyes upset the bacteria which process waste and your cycling may need to re-establish.

abbeh15

Reaction score
Any chance he is a GFP? Green fluorescent protein can make your axolotls glow green, especially leucistics. When exposed to black light or blue LED, it would be very noticeable (though it's not recommended exposing them to the lights for long periods of time).

What color are your axies pupils? And any chance of getting a picture him?

I have attached a photo I found on google to give you an example of GFP.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370713532.635770.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370713532.635770.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 38,419
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!