My axolotls

moilance

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Hi, I come from Taiwan.

Here are my axolotls. Hope you guys like it!

Attachments

• 249.jpg
    249.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 399
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 247.jpg
    247.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 337
That's a lot of axies. :D How many do you have? Are they all in one tank?

Wow!! How big is the tank?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

That's too small... Even for 1 that's a bit on the squishy side.

Put them in your bath tub with dechlorinated water until you can get a bigger tank or give/sell them away.

Yes... I think so! However, there is no extra tank for them...:(

You shouldn't purchase any animals if you can't provide a suitable environment. You wouldn't buy 20 dogs for an apartment, would you? Pretty irresponsible as a pet owner.

I'm fairly new here but I did see an old thread about someone else from china? i think? i"m not 100% sure but when she showed her 6 full grown axies in a 10 gallon tank I was absolutely shocked. it was a long post and she explained that that's just how they keep axies in wherever she was from and no one said 1 negative word about it. I was shocked with how everyone on this site is so obsessed with them having enough space (which I completely agree with just saying its a major concern here) so I do think its incredibly cruel to have so my in such a tiny space, they do things differently in other countries.

Yes in china she was diligent with water changes. However inexperienced owners assume they can do the same and all is good. We need to discourage this behaviour. 16 axolotls in a 36cm long tank is ridiculous. Some axolotls can grow to 30cm alone. Imagine 16! There are no hides, it would be hard during feeding because of the crowding = possible nipping, and the water parameters would be terrible all the time unless there were daily water changes.

Would you like to be cramped in a broom closet with a bunch of people? Sure you can all fit but it's cramped, and extremely uncomfortable.

Fair enough it's crowded, but they do look in good health and clean/well cared for.

I remember the brilliant post from the Chinese lady with the fantastic photograhpy of the eggs developing.

There was also an article of a colony in a US university that had a colony from the 50's (!?) and they kept them in 1 gallon bowels or something.

Maybe we could give this person the benefit of the doubt?

Maybe we could, then other people will see these posts and think " I want 10 axolotls but I dont have the space for them, oh well". Sure I would love lots of axolotls but I don't have the space. Why should the animals suffer for my pleasure?

Basic requirements for an axolotl is 10 gallons per axolotl, or a ft per axolotls plus hides. Look at them, no hides, hardly being able to move with ease. No animals deserve that. Should I put a Great Dane and give it a medium sized dogs' home? I could give him the food he needs and exercise, but that home is not the right requirement. RSPCA would actually send me a notice to correct this problem and or fine me. What's the difference between axolotls and dogs???

With the measurements given (36x18x22cm) that's only 14L or 3.7 US gallons. That's ridiculous... I hope OP means inches instead of cm. Try to actually visualise how small that tank would be.

Last edited:
Those axies look to be juveniles at around 3-4 inches - so from the pics we've seen it looks like a 36cm/14" tank.

So a question for the OP - why do you have 16 axies in such a tiny tank?

Does anyone care that they look happy and healthy I'm not saying it's an ideal situation but if the person is taking all the extra steps to keep them clean and not hungry enough to nip then who are we to say you don't deserve there awesome company Taiwan is a crowded place so in there society crowded takes on a new meaning why so quick to judge One axolotl in a hundred gal tank is small compared to it's natural environment so shame on all of us for what we do if you want to be honest about it

Does anyone care that they look happy and healthy I'm not saying it's an ideal situation but if the person is taking all the extra steps to keep them clean and not hungry enough to nip then who are we to say you don't deserve there awesome company Taiwan is a crowded place so in there society crowded takes on a new meaning why so quick to judge One axolotl in a hundred gal tank is small compared to it's natural environment so shame on all of us for what we do if you want to be honest about it

Totally with you!

looking at this again, it almost looks like some of their gills are kind of flopping around and some of them look curled, maybe too much water flow for such a small area? also in the last picture it looks like there' a golden who is at least a couple inches smaller than all the others i hope for the best but it doesn't look like a good situation, this many animals in such a small space seems like it's really asking for trouble...

looking at this again, it almost looks like some of their gills are kind of flopping around and some of them look curled, maybe too much water flow for such a small area? also in the last picture it looks like there' a golden who is at least a couple inches smaller than all the others i hope for the best but it doesn't look like a good situation, this many animals in such a small space seems like it's really asking for trouble...

The water is fine, it's being filtered by a sponge filter which is the least disruptive filter there is. They look perfectly healthy and the one that is smaller is totally fine as long as he can't fit into another one's belly which from the looks of it there's no way he could.

Now what I honestly can't stand about this thread is that there are people who are being outright rude to the original poster because they simply didn't know any better... Saying things like that 20 dogs in an apartment jab or the "Why do you have 16 axies in such a tiny tank" even after the person already explained themselves... Really? How about you offer something constructive for them rather than just blame them and accuse them?
Ie: My post about the bath tub, perfectly good place to hold some axolotls until you can get a bigger tank.
Or how about you mention totes? Big totes with a filter, perfect tank for an impromptu animal overload.
Also let's not forget that 10 gallons an axolotl is the bare minimum for the optimum conditions. These axolotls are not going to die as long as the original poster is taking good care of them, being diligent with water changes, feeding them correctly, etc.
I'm not saying it's healthy, good, or even okay conditions, but it isn't life threatening for the time being. They're small enough right now for it to work, hopefully the person will invest in a bigger tank soon.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. I will change the more bigger tank ASAP.

My daily life with these axolotls:

1. Feeding every morning and night by red worm, adult brine shrimp and live larval fish.

2. After feeding with red worm, put them into the vitamin-containing water for 1 hour.

3. Change the water (dechlorination) every morning and night after feeding.

4. Detecting the water PH, GH and KH for 3 times in one day.

5. Controlling the temperature in the 15-18 degree.

In Taiwan (not China), there are a lot of people have the axolotls. (some have more than 100...)

Just share more different axolotls in Taiwan. We have established a good system in the axolotls breeding. Hope to facilitate more people to discuss with us.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 254
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back