Streamside salamanders
Taylorsanimals065.jpg

Northern red salamander
Taylorsanimals079.jpg

Gray tree frog
Taylorsanimals050.jpg

Albino pac man frog
Taylorsanimals171.jpg

Comments, personal experiences with animals, and critiscizm is welsomed.
not pictured tiger salamander, cave salamanders, northern dusky salamanders, southern two lined salamanders, eastern zig zag salamanders, and some kind of hongkongensis.

That Northern Red is gorgeous. i have to say though i am impartial to the Pacman Frog, i have always loved them.
Do you keep the siren with anything? i was thinking of getting one for my 26 gallon fish tank.

My siren is about a foot Long and lives in a 20 long with a tiretrack eel and a Raphael catfish. They do great together. Tiretrack eel eats leftover food and the catfish eats their waste. Sirens are fun and I would reccomend them as a pet. Feed it chopped earthworms and guppys if you get one, but make sure you don't keep it with aggressive fish. They could pick at the gills and legs causing the siren to die of stress.
Thank,
Taylor

Liking the ones you call streamside sals, new ones on me.

Nice species...especially love the A.barbouri ;)

About that tire track eel... they get quite large and I'd guess you'd end up having some serious space issues with them together after awhile. They also need fairly warm temps from what I read which may or may not be too good for both the siren and the eel. Also, from what I read it seems like the tire track eels need larger tanks at any size than a 20L. I wouldn't recommend keeping them together. Even if they "get along" sometime down the road you might have problems. Im not even putting the catfish in the picture here. How long is the eel?

What do you mean by "cave salamander?" There are many species couldn't imagine people keeping in captivity such as some of the rare cave dwelling Eurycea.

Seeing as he resides in Kentucky, I'm putting my money on Eurycea lucifuga which is commonly called the Cave Salamander.

correct. They are E. Lucifuga. I have three one bright yellow juvenile, an old faded orange adult, and one dark red adult. Salamanders are hard for an amatuer photagrapher (me) to get pictures of. Sometime within the next three weeks I will post new and hopefully better pictures. One of the neat things about e. Lucifuga is how aggressive some are. I went to clean my aquarium and was bit by my dark red adult when trying to move it to a temporary enclosure. Can you tell their gender by their cirri?

Yes, you can tell the gender by the cirri, which are more developed in the male. You can also tell by the presence of the mental gland, which is a small circular gland on the tip of the male's chin, and frequently unfertilized eggs are visible through the body wall of the females (I've taken care of quite a few E. lucifuga at work for the past 7 years).

Cirri can be a little tricky in lucifuga, because the females do have vestiges of them, and the males will shrink down some when they are not in breeding condition. Eggs of course are a surefire way to tell.

-Tim

Have you ever had any breed? I would like to have them breed this year. I believe I have a pair with what you have described. My last breeding was on accident with the a. Barbouri (streamside salamander) pair pictured above. Something purposeful would be an interesting experience.
Thanks,
Taylor

Nice collection!

I love those steamside sals!

That pacman frog isn't actually albino because it's eyes aren't red.

My camera doesn't do it justice. The frogs eye are red. It is albino when I post new pictures I'll get an eye shot with good lighting.
Thanks, Taylor

Thats a nice collection. How do you keep the red salamander? I was under the impression they were really sensitive and required ultra clean ultra cold water at all times. I caught one in a springhouse one time but released it because I figured it would be too much of a hassle to keep alive and figured it was better off in the wild anyway.

Also how do you keep your dusky? I recently got one and was just curious.

I keep the Red salamander in a 15 gallon aquarium. the water is pumped from one end of the aquarium to the other and forms a shallow 1 nich deep by 4 inch wide creek. it hangs out on the side of the creek and in the pond at the end. the water stays really cool. i use ice cubes to lower the temp before feeding it and it eats mainly earthworms. dusky salamanders are easier to keep. you could use the same set up idea but the temp doesnt need to be as low.

That funny because I have always found it harder to keep dusky salamanders than rubers

I elect the red salamander and my favorite, excellent! We also want one of these! :D These salamanders are long all from your country, do not you? Great collection! :happy:

Not all of the animlad listed above are from my country. The Pac man frog and warty newt are foreign. All the duskys I've kept act like tiger salamanders. They see me and think food. I keep desmognathus fuscus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back