Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Cynops Orientalis 'Project'

KJ_29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Given that there are a few of us here raising Cynops larvae from eggs, I thought I'd post a few photos from the past two or three months, starting from when my female C.Orientalis first began laying eggs.
It's been an interesting experience; I hope you enjoy looking at the pictures, if only at a fraction of how much I've enjoyed raising the larvae so far.

DSC03175.jpg
The Mum, laying eggs prolifically.

DSC02975.jpg
Egg laying, with an egg in the foreground, enclosed in a folded leaf.

DSC02945edit.jpg
One of the earlier eggs.

resize.jpg
A day old, I believe. Notice the yellow yolk sack.

DSC03199resize.jpg
Around a month-and-a-half old; this one of three larvae that I have that are fairly transparent, and in parts genuinely see-through.

DSC03222resize.jpg
Nearing two-months of age. One of the regular-coloured, dark brown larvae.

More pictures (hopefully of a better quality) to be added over the next few months!

KJ_29

Reaction score
Some further photographs:

DSC03279edit.jpg
Walking around

DSC03287.jpg
Just over 2 months old; around 2.5cm long

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Very cool! I plan to attempt to post some pics of my own at some point...

Two of my larvae have morphed within the past couple of days - we first noticed them in the adult tank on 3/12, so they're just over 3 months old. The mom is still laying eggs, but slowing down. I separated the pair in hopes the eggs would stop! I have over 40 larvae and more egss. I'm also documenting the journey of a couple of them from when the egg was first laid through morphogenesis. I hope my sons will have an interesting photojournal of the life cycle. This morph stage has be very nervous. Where they looked so healthy and strong in the water, they suddenly look fragile and haven't eaten yet...though I'm told they often don't eat for the first week or so...

Good luck with yours!
Dana

KJ_29

Reaction score
Still laying? That's incredible. My newt stopped around a month ago, after around 2 months of laying.
I can't wait to see some of your photos, if you do get round to uploading them. It's interesting to see how other people's Cynops larvae are doing.
Ahh, the morph stage must be worrying time for both newt and newt-keeper, hah. I'm nervously awaiting my first morph; I anticipate it to happen in a month or two.
Thanks, and good luck with yours too!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you think 3 months it´s a lot, wait until they start laying for 9 months.....

KJ_29

Reaction score
Haha, that's amazing. There must've been an innumerable amount of eggs.
Any idea how it happened? Did you keep them in suspended breeding conditions, or did it just occur?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nah it just happens. It´s not like she lays every day...she may stop for a week, regain strength and then lay again...she does that for 9 months on end. I don´t do anything special (they are at room temp year round)...i just think as long as they are healthy, well fed, and well housed, they´ll behave like that.

KJ_29

Reaction score
Aha, how interesting.
Hopefully the fact that my newts have managed to breed is a sign they're appropriately housed and fed.
I noticed you've a C.Orientalis juvenile who has taken to the water; he looks great.

KJ_29

Reaction score
I'm attaching a picture which is a tad sharper than my previous, less-than-impressive attempts at photographing the larvae.
Recently, I've noticed a significant increase in both the girth, and the appetite of some of the oldest (2.5 months), or largest, larvae.
The larva in the picture below is the same animal as in the previous picture I posted; hopefully you can notice the difference.

DSC03321resize.jpg

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, he is a very entertaining little fella. I was worried sick that it might drown but he seems perfectly fine and eats well. I think it´s safe to say i finally succeeded xD

Your larvae are looking good. As soon as the legs gain width they start eating a lot more and growing faster. It seems to be the decisive moment for most species, separating between small larvae and developed ones. From now on expect them to grow nice and fat.

By the way, since this species breeds VERY easily, the fact that they do for you is a good sign that the housing is apropriate. The length of time and number of eggs of the female will be the sign for nutrition.

KJ_29

Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks a lot; I've noticed a few others have also started gaining weight rapidly; exciting stuff.
Good to hear I'm keeping the newts to a good standard too.
Unfortunately I have some bad news. Today I found five of the youngest larvae dead, which worries me. I know large numbers of larvae can die for seemingly no reason, but nonetheless, it's unsettling. The remaining 35 or so, are seemingly healthy, and developing well.
Fingers crossed that there aren't any more casualties.

Last edited:

KJ_29

Reaction score
DSC03338cropped.jpg
Two of the mid-sized larvae, one of regular colouration having a look at one of the three pale larvae.
Anyone have an idea as to how the pale one will turn out? I expect it'll probably just develop the darker colour.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Mine did this also. They all end up the same as Morphs, though the lighter colored ones have interesting lighter colored bars on the dorsal side.

They will also change color back and forth quite a bit due to lighting and the amount of cover provided as they move to terrestrial morphology.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Most if not all will develop a normal coloration as metamophosis aproaches.
I´ve had several light larvae and all of them were perfectly normal morphs. However, i had one larvae that instead of light, looked mottled....and now, as a juvenile, it has retained a kind of mottled appearnce. I took for granted it would disappear, but it´s been several months and it´s the same...i´ll have to wait and see wht happens.

Sorry for the few loses...this things happen. Best of lucks with the rest!

KJ_29

Reaction score
Aha. Cheers guys.
I've noticed that some larvae tend to show slight changes in colour; I've noticed some go from near black to a golden brown sort of colour. It'll be interesting to watch the pale ones develop the darker colouration.
Just out of interest; do either of you know what size, generally, I can expect the larvae to be at prior to metamorphosis? I've found it difficult to predict what the the sudden increase in growth rate.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Anything from 2,5 to 4,5 cm. On average, expect them to be around 3-3,5cm. It´s in your best interest to try and delay morphing (deep water and cool temps) as much as possible so that the animals have a decent size at the time. Tiny morphs often do poorly because they are weak and hard to feed.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Great project. The more people that breed this species (and all others!) the better. Good luck with them. When they start to morph, watch out for them drowning or escaping from the tank, as they are very hydrophobic.

Chris

KJ_29

Reaction score
Cheers Chris; I'm nervously awaiting my first morph!

A quick update on how they're doing...

DSC03506edit.jpg
One of the most developed of the batch, doing that yawning action; this was the first time I've ever seen a larva do this. I've always been curious as to what this is; is it actually yawning?
Thought I might actually get a decent photo with the larva in this particular container; pity I didn't notice how scratched it was.

DSC03511.jpg
The underside, developing black spots.

Has anyone idea how close to metamorphosis this guy is? It's just over three months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1