my FB is missing :S

HE'S OUT!
Man that was an ordeal. hah.
I was puting the ornament into the tank to submerge and flood with water and decided to sort of rock it back and forth so that the water inside of it would kind of create a 'wave' effect to try to flush him out. Then i tilted it so all the water ran out of the hole. I did it twice and then i could see the little guy had been brought with the water current into the first 'section' of the hole. I added a tiny bit more water and poored it out quickly and Ted came out with it! I was very glad and immediately filled the hole with lots of stones to give it weight (so it wouldnt float) and plugged off the hole with bunched-up tin foil (until I can find a more permanent way).
Thank you for everyone who showed me great empathy this week,
I appreciate all the lovely comments I got and well wishers,
I might be posting a picture of him in a bit just so I can have some help with knowing if he really is a little dude. heh
xxx
leah

I have been reading about your salamander problem for the past couple of days and I am glad the salamander is out.

Plug that hole.. maybe a Cork?? rubber or real Cork material??

just a thought

glad he's out.

sure am staying in Canada...at the U of Windsor, yippy! You?

Congrats on getting Ted out! However, I highly recommend taking the ornament out until you can plug it up permanently. A little squirt of Great Stuff will fill the hole nicely, but you'll have to let it cure properly for a week or so.

I'm pretty close to you guys as well. I just graduated from University of Toronto with a HBSc. this year. Never knew there are so many caudate keepers here!

I think the hole is ok for now, i def dont think theyd be able to get into it now, but id like to fill it up with less 'made do' materials. Where can i get 'Great Stuff'?

since we are all close, what kind of caudautes do you guys keep? what kind of set-ups, let's discuss...I feel like the only one in my area...
I have a T.Grans, P.labiatus and an ambystoma tinigrum. Had some axie eggs this summer, did not turn out, hoping to find some more, have not been successful anywhere.

Heh i'm just a beginner i'm afraid- I have 2 C. Orientalis. I absolutely ADORE axies, and would love to keep some in the future, unfortunately I haven't really got the money heh. Where did you get your eggs?/Do you know anywhere around here that carries them?

I have a 25 gallon tank with only one Cynops orientalis and lots of plants. I also have a pacman frog (Ceratophrys cranwelli) in a 10 gallon tank. Oh yeah, I have a goldfish as well. Currently I'm pretty busy with work so I don't think I'll be expanding my collection too much.

is ladybird named after king of the hill? genius. haha

Yes, named after Hank's dog, haha. Oh, and to answer your question above, You can get Great Stuff at any hardware or do-it-yourself store.

I hope you guys don't mind (blackasher and Dawn)... I added quotes from you (anonymously) to this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/catastrophes.shtml
as a warning to others to watch out for hollow ornaments.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this thread seems to be getting a bit too far off-topic. Could I ask you who want to chit-chat to please use private messages? Or better yet, set up a time to meet in the chatroom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back