:( my firebelly has escaped

MaddyAnne

Reaction score
Country
England
5 year old daughter opened the top of the tank and I didn't notice til i got back from the school run, I've spent all day searching but I can't find him anywhere, anyone got any tips on finding an escapee? and providing the dog hasn't eaten him, how long could he survive out the tank?

Ugh, that's always hard to hear. If you haven't already, take apart the tank. If there are any decorations your newt could crawl inside, check those with a flashlight. Otherwise, look around every little piece of furniture, every decoration, any hole it could crawl behind or into, especially if they're dark, damp, cool, or humid. If you don't find him soon, leave little trays or plates of water lying around the house and check them every hour or so, and look anywhere there's water, like the bathroom. Depending on the climate, he should be able to survive 8 hours to two days without water. (This is why the plates are important.) Good luck finding him- keep us updated!

Make sure to look under things. Once outside the moisture rich confines of his home the amphibian will seek out moisture as mentioned above. Failing that a closely confined area will be sought out. Places that are dark and cool are a good place to look. Try peeking under any rugs or furniture near the tank and work outwards from the tank in a methodical way. I hope you find the fugitve, and consider getting a child proof cover.

Posted from the newt-phone!

I have had several escapees....Seriously check every corner..under the rugs..in any holes in the wall..under everything that he might have crawled under..EVERYWHERE...move stuff and look I know it might be a pain but Ive saved newts from certain death by putting the extra time to look everywhere..Hope you find him...

when I was a kid and my newts got out, I'd find them in 2 places usually:

in the corner of a closet
or
they'd wedge themselves under some base molding along the floor.

basically, as stated above, they'd find the tightest, coldest, darkest place and sit there until 1) you find them, or 2) they die.

If I remember correctly, about 48 hours was the longest they'd make it alive. probably depends on newt species and how much humidity they can find. anyway, good luck.

PS completely random thing... if you have a floor vent in that room, you could consider putting a piece of cheese cloth under it. it'll help trap particles in the air anyway, AND it'll prevent an escapee from crawling down into the vent and dying in your duct work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back