Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first axolotl and his new home.

Rasa171

Reaction score
I got him/her on the 26th of december 2010. At first I used gravel but today I switched to sand, also put a little plant in. Let's see what happens to it :)
I'd also like any information you guys can give on him/her. Starting with the gender. I've read a lot about it and maybe he/she is too young to tell by the looks? How old might he/she be? He/she is 10-12cm or 3.9-4.7 in. long.

Also here is an album where I upload all of his/her pictures: DELFI Pilt > Kasutaja album > My Axolotl

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 249
  • P1090387.JPG
    P1090387.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 187
  • P1090438.jpg
    P1090438.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 183
  • P1090445.jpg
    P1090445.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 208

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you switched to sand! It'll be much healthier for your axolotl.

At 10cm, it's too young to sex yet. It's probably less than 6 months old.

Your tank looks pretty good, but you should add another hide or two. You've got lots of space to expand upward too. Try some tall silk plants.

Rasa171

Reaction score
I also hope my axi likes the sand :) At the moment he's hiding in the corner, probably a bit shocked from the big remodelling. I will add some hides and new plants soon, just letting him get used to the new surroundings. Can anyone tell me anything about his type?

Skilly

Reaction score
Awwww what a cutie. You have a wonderful little wild type :happy: It is too early to sex the little critter but I am going to guess and bet that it is a female. Looks pretty round like my female wild :D Have fun with the new cute axie!

ted22

Reaction score
Looks wicked, nearly had a heart attach when I saw that gravel and stones tho! Depending on where the tank is (if free standing in the middle of a room this is not applicable) you should stick on a background, it would really help the axies feel more secure and give em abit more shade! Looks good tho you should be proud!

Also that looks like elodea, it may require light to really grow but that stuff is pond weed and should shoot up in no time just take trimmings when it gets long and replant, can also used floating if you end up with alot which would also give the axies more shade. They do like their shade these axies! The trick is designing your tank so they can be in shade and darkness but can still be seen by you, some parts of my tank are so dense with shade I dont see my axies for days sometimes! Usually I wouldnt really reccommend live plants in an axie tank coz they need light and get dug em up and destroyed (and sometimes eaten strangely) but can really see some java fern and anubias attached to some of those rocks and a load more elodea! You are definately on the right track and have done well, your gonna have a very happy axolotl!

Laters

Ed

P.S Hello everyone Gomez is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

P.S.P.S Beautiful axie by the way, very cute!

mewsie

Reaction score
Sweeet! Cute little fella ^_^

Love the pic with the sand all over his/her face!

Rasa171

Reaction score
Amazing to get so much and good response :) If the plan gets eaten or dies it's no biggie, I just wanted something green in the aquarium and it also gives a bit shade. Its Egeria Najas if anyone cares.
As I dont have a lid yet, and my light is coming from one side, he has a lot of places that are dark or have no light at all during daytime. I will construct a lid soon tho and also get him a background.
Thanks again for the response :)

Rasa171

Reaction score
Ed, he nearly gave me a heart attack today :D I woke up and wanted to see what he was doing but couldnt't find him anywhere. As you said he needed some more hides and I guess he found one more :smile: Yesterday I read that they can climb out and I put a new filter/pump in and thought of the worst, even looked everywhere on the floor. Finally I found him under a stone in a gap near the filter where I didn't know he could even fit. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1