My First Axolotl!

Vaan2931

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Kerri-Ann
Hi there! I figured it was time I finally introduced myself after having my axolotl for a few months now and also to ask a little question.

My name is Kerri-Ann and I'm from Scotland. I own 5 fish tanks (one of which is my axolotl), two dogs and two rabbits. One of my tanks contains a red male betta fish called Lenny, a 64 litre with four gouramis, a rainbow shark and a corydora. We also have a guppy breeding tank and a 39 litre with mickey mouse platys and neon tetras.

Our dogs are called Alfie and Gracie. Alfie is a collie, crossed with a german shepard and a lurcher and Gracie is an Old English sheepdog.

My axolotl is called Gill-Bert and I believe he is albino. At the moment I suspect he is a boy. I feed him on earth worms and sometimes brine shrimp, blood worms or daphnia as a treat. I have some pictures of him but I don't know how to attach them. :confused:

I have noticed that he seems to swim around a lot and doesn't spend much time at the bottom of the tank, which is unusual as I read they prefer to stay on the ground. Despite this, the only time he really ever spends not moving is when he is sitting on his plants. I don't know if this is unusual or if he is just being a little weirdo. :wacko:

Hi Kerri-Ann and welcome to the forum! I'm moving your post to the axolotl subforum where it should receive more attention and start a discussion.

Hey there! When you start a thread there's a "manage attachments" button that will open in a new window and allow you to attach I think it's 6 pictures. Then just hit "upload" then shut the window when you're done.

If he's white with red eyes he's probably an albino, if the eyes are white it's probably a lecustic. Once you've uploaded some pics of him I'm sure we'll be able to tell you his gender.

Adults are really lazy (usually 19cm +) but if he's young (15cm or smaller) he'll possibly be very active (although testing the water can ease your worries too)

Thanks for the responses! I'm really glad to be a part of the website! :love:

Sorry for the late response but I managed to get some (pretty bad) photos of him. It's quite difficult as he's so fast.

Attachments

• 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 001 (3).jpg
    001 (3).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 246
He's very cute, nice fluffy gills!!

My lotl is about a year old now, just around 6 inches long and he is still quite the active swimmer
I think its part of their instinctive hunting pattern, but i have no evidence to support this, its just a hunch ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back