My herping skills finally paid off...

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
I am extremely excited to share the photos of this animal with you all, so I'll jump right to the point. We are visiting Israel for holiday, (Still hoping while we visit Galilee I may be able to photograph Salamandra and Ommatotriton) and we visited a place in southern Israel to look around and go herping. After walking around for a tiny bit, I found one of my target species, the Be'er sheva fringe-toed lizard (Acanthodactylus beershebensis). It is critically endangered for a few reasons that I won't get into. After catching it to identify its sex, (It was a female for those wondering) we promptly released the animal after a photo session. I also had seen an Ocellated Bronze Skink (Chalcides ocellatus), but it got away before I could get a photo. I've typed enough for now, here are the photos/video!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjNY-YBs9Q

Attachments

• DSC08942.jpg
    DSC08942.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC08948.jpg
    DSC08948.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC08950.jpg
    DSC08950.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 275
Nice Xavier! I'm glad all your hard work has paid off :D

Keep us posted re salamandra ??

Will do! Should have a little more than a week to try to find some :happy:

If you find some, then I'm coming! ?

Hello! Unfortunately, we had to cancel our trip short after a little more than a week, but on the plus side we should visit at least two more times this year, so maybe I'll be able to find more herps and more specifically caudates then ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back