My Japanise Firebelly Newts

Hi Innes,

Nice videos but those aren't Japanese Firebelly Newts (Cynops pyrrhogaster). They're Warty Newts Paramesotriton - a very different genus of newts with distinctly different behavioural traits and different care requirements to firebellies.

Good luck.

How Many Gallons Does That Tank Hold It Seems Very Small For 2 Newts And A Gold Fish?

Happy New Year All!

i'm surprised the goldfish is in as good condition as it is. The couple of mellow fish I put in with my former newt to keep him company got eating in about... oh...3 days.....

Oh OK sorry for the mis ID - this is what I was told in the shop, do you have any factsheets about this species and its requirements?

the tank is about 5 Imperial Gallons

OK from doing a little research I believe I have a Paramesotriton hongkongensis
Hong Kong Warty Newt and also a Paramesotriton caudopunctatus.

is there anything that I really need to know about them?

(Message edited by innes on January 02, 2004)

(Message edited by innes on January 02, 2004)

Unfortunately, Caudata Culture really has very little information specifically on warty newts. Only the general information such as FAQs is going to help much.

Innes, I would suggest that you do a few searches of the archives of this forum, as you will find some more specific information that way.

I have had some experience with these newts as i had a male and female but the female died. Keep them cool, and give them around two plants don't give two much as they will tend to eat them. And feed them krill and bloodworm. Hope this helps. Happy New Year All!

They Are better Off Kept Fully Aquatic? But Better 50/50 When In Quarantine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back