My little axolotls

Crptid

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Here are my two little axolotls Ashen (wild type) and Stubble (leucistic)
DSC09453.jpgDSC09457.jpg

That's a gorgeous leucistic! Just to warn you some people might aggressively comment on that choice of substrate.

Beautiful axies! Yes, that substrate looks potentially lethal.

your Axolotls are beautiful! Please switch to sand or a bare bottom tank though.... I got two of mine from a petstore and they have passed 11 pieces of gravel and counting so far.... :( they eat the gravel while they are trying to eat their food.

yes I bought a bag of "sand" but it is very coarse i have been meaning to buy some fine sand but have been very busy lately
(though to be safe i have a special feeding platform of slate and it looks worse than it, but yes i am replacing it as soon as i can)

I think that sand is fine, it's just a bit bigger than normal, if they're not ingesting a lot of it or any of it, I wouldn't be worried, and even if they are, it looks fine enough to pass. That's just me though, I have extremely fine sand in my tanks, so don't get at me for my husbandry because I'm defending his choice of substrate, guys.

Anyhow, really healthy looking Axies, your wild type looks like he has a Dorito on his face, LOL. Your leucistic is beautiful with all the dark colouration on his face!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I was just looking and according to the wentworth scale my substrate is sand and not pebbles as each grain is less than 2mm (.08") in diameter.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back