Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My little ensatina collection

grapeape

Reaction score
Some of my ensatina.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 719

grapeape

Reaction score
Hi James!
I have large blotched, Sierra Nevada, and Monterey's. Each species has their own set up and have had succes breeding with the Monterey's the last 2 years. I release the cb babies into the wild at a locality where I grew up that has an abundance of them.

grapeape

Reaction score
Hello:happy:
I only have the 3 species, large blotched, sierra nevada and monterey. The monterey breed every year and I release the cb hatchlings at a locality where i grew up and where there is an extreme abundance of monterey ensatina present. I posted pics of the habitat that i release them in, in a post below of finds and habitat shots.

sde

Reaction score
Platanos, please, do not release the babies into the wild. It is possible they could have been exposed to and carry a disease like chytrid, bsal, ranavirus etc., and when you release them they could spread it to the wild populations, making your efforts counter productive.
Congrats on breeding them, that is fantastic! -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1