Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Little Paludarium Setup

D

david

Please kindly comment on my humble little
garden.
35600.jpg

35601.jpg

35602.jpg

35603.jpg

35604.jpg

<font color="ff0000">Moderator: Edited photos to read top down</font>

(Message edited by apples on May 10, 2005)

D

david

Three Rana sp. and two juv. Firebelly newts

here's a pic of the Rana.sp. with luminous
green vertebral stripe.
35611.jpg

J

jennifer

It's a beautiful vivarium. When you say "juv firebelly newts" do you mean "Rana dinner"? Even if they don't become Rana dinner, I suspect the newts will disappear into the moss and crevices and it will be hard to know if they are eating or even still in there. Although I love the setup, I probably wouldn't put small newts into it. What are you using as food?

D

david

I am using frozen blood worms and freshly molted
mealworms.

Always seen them feasting together on the frozen
blood worms. No problem of attacking each other...but I am considering your advise of just
keeping one species inside.

35628.jpg

innocent looking

J

jarno

Can you tell me something about the plants you used. It looks great.

B

benjamin

The fact the newt is grey is a sign that it's being kept too warm.

S

sharon

GORGEOUS!! Now hubby wants to know why I can't make one that looks like yours!! lol maybe thats a good idea for one of my smaller tanks...

andrew

Reaction score
OMG!! Thats a gorgeous setup!! Its paradise to me!!! That stream is soooooooooooooo enchanting!Man, I wish I could see it upclose. Hope all your animals appreciate it. Anything living in the water, it doesnt look like it could sustain any vertebrates.

D

david

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>William Jones wrote on Monday, 09 May, 2005 - 18:06 :</font>

"do you know what rana sp. they are?"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Oops..I just found that they are actually
Occidozyga Laevis, not Rana sp.

D

david

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Benjamin Tajer wrote on Monday, 09 May, 2005 - 19:22 :</font>

"The fact the newt is grey is a sign that it's being kept too warm."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I think it's due to the reflection from the lighting when I took the pic...thats why it looks greyish.

(Message edited by exotica on May 10, 2005)

D

david

Thanks for all your comments.

I need some advise here though...which amphibian
is more suitable for my setup?

I am thinking of taking out the C.orientalis
to place them in a more aquatic setup.

D

david

Is my tank suitable to keep T.shangjing?

(Message edited by exotica on May 14, 2005)

J

jeff

If you modify it slightly it should be okay. shanjing need ventilation or they can develop skin problems, so you'll need to have a screen lid. Also, it looks a little too wet for shanjing. If you can keep the majority of it on the drier side then I would say go for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!