My lovely trio of p. waltl

Spookynewts

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got these beauties over the weekend. They're in a 30 gallon filled with about twenty gallons of water. So far they seem to be doing very well and have engaged in amplexus. No tank mates other than a few hitchhiker snails!

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_135817827.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230924_135817827.MP~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 353
  • PXL_20230924_135943374.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230924_135943374.MP~2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20230924_135823933~2.jpg
    PXL_20230924_135823933~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
Very nice riparium style tank! Everything is exactly what it should be, real wood, rocks, plants, lid, and even the sand. People leave substrate out for fear of cleaning maintenance, but having a slick bottom is now argued to stress animals that require friction to move. I root for your frog moss up there but mine never lasted :cautious:. WHat is their feeding routine like?

Very nice riparium style tank! Everything is exactly what it should be, real wood, rocks, plants, lid, and even the sand. People leave substrate out for fear of cleaning maintenance, but having a slick bottom is now argued to stress animals that require friction to move. I root for your frog moss up there but mine never lasted :cautious:. WHat is their feeding routine like?
Thanks so much! The frog moss did not make it haha, but I have a nice pothos in its place now. The aquatic plants are all doing well as well which has provided a ton of hiding spots for them.

I feed them earth worms three times a week. Usually one to two worms per newt as they're quite large. I cut the worms into smaller pieces. I've tried newt pellets but it it isn't moving, they won't eat it 😅

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back