Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Malagasy Green Marbled Burrowing Frogs (Scaphiophryne marmorata)

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Even though this is a Caudata forum and I said that I wouldn't post photos up anymore but oh well! (Anura weren't included in the anti-posting thing, so lets go with that) I am contemplating putting the photos up of the Echinotriton andersoni and the Tylototriton taliangensis but need a lot of persuasion lol

Anyway, these are my Malagasy Green Marbled Burrowing Frogs (Scaphiophryne marmorata) pair which are sexed based on Sexual Dimorphism (size differences and colouration). They are a genus I have always loved along with the Mantella genus so having a Scaphiophryne is great. They are a shy species obviously and appear to be Crepuscular in their general behavior.

Bit of information about the species: The species is from the the Island of Madagascar and has a very restricted and fragmented distribution range in the Eastern-central parts of its distribution. Like most of the genus, they aren't widely bred in captivity and due to they fragmented distribution range they have been evaluated as "Vulnerable" by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in 2004

This is a picture of their enclosure, may not be fully transparent but I have noticed they prefer that, and due to them not being a bold species I am more than happy to provide them something as simple as this :) ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophryne-marmorata-picture27644-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-enclosure-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Here is the Male specimen ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophryne-marmorata-picture27642-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-male-nomenclature-scaphiophryne-marmorata-iucn-red-list-vulnerable-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

and again ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophryne-marmorata-picture27641-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-male-nomenclature-scaphiophryne-marmorata-iucn-red-list-vulnerable-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

and here is the female ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-scaphiophryne-marmorata-picture27643-malagasy-green-marbled-burrowing-frogs-female-nomenclature-scaphiophryne-marmorata-iucn-red-list-vulnerable-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

I only have the pair currently but in the next few weeks I am purchasing some more male specimens for a breeding project. Their wild life expectancy is ranged from 2-3 years however I have seen individuals that are 4-7 years in age so like anything in captivity the life expectancy will surely be higher.

The enclosure does have a water section currently in it, however this shall be a seasonal thing from now on so when the period comes from the Dry Season, I shall completely drain the water and wait for up to 6 weeks (at least) however, I am deciding on if I should make a Rain chamber for them full stop, the method appears to work for other people so why not.

Anyway thank you for reading my thread!!

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

Willlis

Reaction score
They respond well to a dry spell and a rain system. I would suggest trying to set up a rain system on the same cage as the one you are going to let them experience a dry spell in though. I think this helps with inducing the breeding event. Good Luck!

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
They respond well to a dry spell and a rain system. I would suggest trying to set up a rain system on the same cage as the one you are going to let them experience a dry spell in though. I think this helps with inducing the breeding event. Good Luck!

Thank you, I was thinking of ways last night while typing out this of how to do their permanent enclosure and I think you are correct in saying that keeping it all together (Rain Chamber in their Enclosure) is the best option! To prove what you say of the Dry and Wet system, I kept them fairly dry for the past few days and rarely saw glimpses of them, last night I gave them a huge spray and after 15 minutes they were hopping around hunting and they are still out now! :)

Thank you, hopefully with more males (I know they have a higher ratio of males to females in the wild) I shall have some success. I am getting about 4 more males at least!

Willlis

Reaction score
Good, I think a large group of males is the way to go, I'm sure that one reason some of these species are difficult to breed is the lack of selection that the females usually have in a captive setting and the lack of competition between males. I had been thinking about getting a group of these guys myself but ended up with some other new stuff instead. Keep us updated on any success.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Good, I think a large group of males is the way to go, I'm sure that one reason some of these species are difficult to breed is the lack of selection that the females usually have in a captive setting and the lack of competition between males. I had been thinking about getting a group of these guys myself but ended up with some other new stuff instead. Keep us updated on any success.

Yeah definitely, I think it might be a huge factor behind most failures behind the breeding of S.gottlebei but getting hold of enough specimens of that species is difficult in itself! You should get some, I think they are fantastic! Not sure but I disturbed them earlier on and saw I saw them in Amplexus but I am highly doubtful for the facts that I haven't really readied them for breeding and it's highly unlikely! But either way, both are very active and actively seeking food!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!