Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra)

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought I would post a thread up of one of my latest additions to my collection.

Anyway, these are my Malaysia/Asian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra) pair which are sexed based on Sexual Dimorphism (size differences and colouration). They are a shy species obviously and are very Nocturnal in their general behavior and rarely if ever see them out and about during the day period. The Male I have heard calling a lot since I got them both and he has been hanging around the water bowl so I am tempted to provide them with a Rain Chamber earlier than planned just to see what happens.

Bit of information about the species: Is 1 of 14 species of the Kaloula genus (members of the Microhylidae family). The Malaysian Painted Bullfrog is in fact widely distributed in it's natural occurrence range and is mainly collected for both Consumption and the Pet Trade, where it is widely and commonly kept in the hobby. they have been evaluated as "Least Concerned" by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in 2009

This is the Female individual © 2013:
tylototritonguy-albums-malaysian-painted-bullfrogs-kaloula-pulchra-picture28239-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-female-nomenclature-kaloula-pulchra-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-info-1-14-species-kaloula-genus-members-microhylidae-family-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-fact-widely-distributed-its-natural-occurrence-range-mainly-collected-both-consumption-pet-trade-where-widely-commonly-kept-hobby-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Female again out about about very late at night - assume hunting as they both feed really well ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malaysian-painted-bullfrogs-kaloula-pulchra-picture28241-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-female-nomenclature-kaloula-pulchra-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-info-1-14-species-kaloula-genus-members-microhylidae-family-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-fact-widely-distributed-its-natural-occurrence-range-mainly-collected-both-consumption-pet-trade-where-widely-commonly-kept-hobby-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

The male in their water bowl, he makes it so messy after hes been in it a while ©
tylototritonguy-albums-malaysian-painted-bullfrogs-kaloula-pulchra-picture28312-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-male-nomenclature-kaloula-pulchra-iucn-red-list-least-concerned-info-1-14-species-kaloula-genus-members-microhylidae-family-malaysian-painted-bullfrog-fact-widely-distributed-its-natural-occurrence-range-mainly-collected-both-consumption-pet-trade-where-widely-commonly-kept-hobby-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Anyway thank you for reading my thread!!

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Cool looking critter, how big are they i can't tell from the photo.

Thank you and I haven't sized them just yet but I need to do it soon to keep a journal of them lol but individuals dont get any bigger than 8cm. Males are smaller than females in Girth and length :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!