Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Marms plus horror story

aramcheck

Reaction score
I finally joined the 21st century and got a (crapy) digital camera, so here are a couple of pictures of my marmsjuvies group. I got them from Morg at the end of last summer:

spider newt:
marmfern.jpg

and the rest of the group:
marmsgroup.jpg

The pictures were taken last Thursday, Saturday morning as I was putting some fresh bloodworms in the tank I distractedly counted the newts: 1,2,3,4 and... 4.

Alright, don't panic, you must have missed one: 1,2,3,4... no number 5.

At that point I get the 4 visible newts on my spare tank and start digging plants out and check everywhere, still no number 5.

One of the newts is missing . :eek:

I check the tank and fair enough, the lid is ever so slightly askew and now there is a tiny gap on the top corner. The worst thing is, my son had some friends sleeping over and I cannot stop wondering if I left the lid like that, or if the kids sneaked down the basement to have a look at my animals...

No time to wonders anyway, I get my torch and inspect the basement floor, under every bit of junk... nothing. I know the basement is damp enough and inhabited enough (slugs and woodlice abound) for the newt to survive some time, but nonetheless I leave some bloodworms on paper towel on two corners of the floor and turn the dehumidifier off.

After I spend most of Saturday coming down the basement every hour or so, to check on it, still no newt. Sunday morning, I spend about 1 hour on all four, checking tiny crevices... nothing.

Then my partner convinces me to come up for breakfast. As I do the washing up I can hear her calling me from the basement. She'd come down and had a look, and guess what she found, cover in muck, looking a bit dry in a corner! Number 5! Hooray.

So, I am going to change the design of my lid, and forevermore will have to listen to her explaining me how the Y chromosome is incompatible with good looking and searching skills... :D

micstarz

Reaction score
no time to wonders anyway, i get my torch and inspect the basement floor, under every bit of junk... Nothing. I know the basement is damp enough and inhabited enough
so, i am going to change the design of my lid, and forevermore will have to listen to her explaining me how the y chromosome is incompatible with good looking and searching skills... :d

ahahahahaha!!! :d

marco

Reaction score
Amusing story, glad you found it in the end. It's surprising just how long caudates can survive for in basements, especially when they are found naturally occuring in there.
(found a Triturus Sp that goes by the common name Palmate Newt) In my basement mid march last year, looked like a male wandering for its pond.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!