Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: My new addition........whats the average length of an 8month axolotl?

nina89

Reaction score
I got the little guy/girl from a friend a couple of weeks back im gonna keep his name but i forgot it so for now im gonna call him midget, when i first got him he was very round (although unfed for 1week+), I measured him today at 9cm, Does anyone know if at 8 months should he be bigger by now?
He loves his new home and is still very snappy(which i think is cute), he's got my finger a few times will feeding. He would come up to the surface and gulp asking for food everytime you walk past.
I will tell you about his previous home before i tell you about my stressfull feeding situation:
my friend i got it from had a surprise batch of eggs he raised in a large tank and fed on paste and frozen bbs with an air pump. Midget was the only surviver and when he got big enough he has only been fed small earthworms.
When I first got midget he hadn't been fed for a week or so, so i fed him his first axolotl pellet and he gulped it up happily. Because he's used to a diet consisting of only earthworms I didnt want to put him straight on pellets so i continued giving him earthworms. I left him for a few days and then tried giving midget a small worm and 2 pellets, the following day I gave him some whiteworms and a pellet. The following day to my horror Midget got sick and refused all foods, movement was minimal, though appearance was fine.
I might add hear that Midget is black speckled!
the next day midget had kind of changed colour he was kind of a dark grey brown/red with one little spot on his cheek that was still black.
Luckilly I've got him back on worms and his health and energy is back which im happy for. Midgets not looking bloated now but very well fed and very happy now.

I wanted to know if anyone knows the average length of an 8month old axolotl?
And do you think my diet change was too sudden and brought on the bad health or could it have been something else maybe brought with it from its previous home?

tmorgan

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of midget? :) He sounds adorable. I have no idea what the average size of an 8 month axolotl is considering that I got two axies at the same time and one is over 3 times bigger than the other! o_O My leucistic is a monster and my GFP is just a little guy.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I think that size just kinda varies. ;)

tmorgan

Reaction score
Leucistic are the white axies with pink gills. GFP are the wild type that glow under black light. :) Just the different types of coloring. :D

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
GFP can be wild type/melanoid/albino....just a different protein they are bred with. GFP stands for Green Fluorescent Protein

dragonlady

Reaction score
Just to add to what Eric stated...GFP axolotls can also include leucistics. I think the only variation that doesn't exist yet is the GFP golden albino...but a GFP albino and GFP leucistic appear yellowish even under normal lighting so don't really see the point to creating a GFP golden...IMO.

The way you can tell immediately if an axolotl is GFP is that under normal lighting, his eyes will appear emerald green and when exposed to black light they will emit a greenish glow. However, it should be noted that it is not considered healthy for the axolotl to keep him constantly exposed to the blacklight - he should be able to get away from this light like any other.

@nina89 - to answer your size question, axolotls grow at different rates but Midget does sound a little small to me for 8 mo. However, I have a 2 yr. old who is only 16cm so maybe Midget is going to be small too. :D Or, Midget may hit a growth spurt and become HUGE!

As far as his diet (glad to hear you've got him on earthworms!), he could be adjusting to the different environment at your house. Do you know the parameters and water temp of your water? These can affect Midget. Even a different filter can affect him. If you could, post a pic of his setup or tell us the size of his tank and describe his setup? Substrate? Just want to help you get Midget off to an amazing start with you and if there is anything else that could have caused his eating problem...

I hope you enjoy him/her and please post some pics so we all can meet Midget. :D

daremo

Reaction score
ahhh thanks a lot!! :D

My axie is probably over a year (I've had him or her since december) and is roughly 18 cm... I can't even tell if its a she or a he... and he/she eats a looooot, but only it's belly is growing!

hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1