my new axolotl has red on the tail but i couldnt

salamandra

Reaction score
Country
England
my new axolotl has red on the tail but i couldnt get a good pic so i did a ruf looking pic to give you an idea:confused: ive set him up just like the carsheets ive read but i donno if it is just a stress thing of getting moved fromt he shop to my home:confused: anyone know wy he would have this? he is about 13cm long and as you can see a wild type:D and he has such personality just like my tiger salamanders:rolleyes: they just like mini humans in a salamanders body:rofl:
axolotlwithredtailend.jpg

Hi Salamandra its a new one for me and hard to gauge from your photo, best guess some kind of injury

Good luck

so maybe if i leav it alone as much as bossible other than water changes and food the tail should just go back nicely:D few thank god:D he was in a small setup with about 5 other axolotls and 1 was 2 times his size so maybe that was the reson:( o well at least he can recover with me now:frog:

He looks in good shape in the photo, with a nice body shape and gills.
I'd be tempted to leave it be for a while, but do keep a close eye for any changes..keep us posted.

Hi,

I suppose that he was bitten by the bigger axolotls in his former tank and got away with some scratches. I would just leave him be and keep an eye on him.

ok :D i have also fed him a wax worm a few crickets and he loves hunting them:p he slowly gose to the crickets that are strugling in the water and then......BOO! PAW! GULP! :shocked: once he figured out that they were food he couldnt stop :D and ive found he likes crickets more than blood worm:confused: is this because they are live and he likes to hunt them or just the taste or somthing:confused: maybe he just likes it because they are swimming around and he has to catch them etc and the blood worms are frozen:confused: any ideas wy he likes the crickets more:confused: o and he had trouble with the wax worm:rolleyes: he got it but then spat it out and kept attacking it :eek: poor wax worm:D but in the end he gulped it down

to meany faces:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back