Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My New Tank/Axie Pics

B

brendan

Heres my new tank and my babies for all your viewing pleasure.

The tank is 1200mm(1.2cm) x 350mm(35.0cm) x 500mm(50.ocm). Around 50 gallons. Im using an Aqua One CF700 Canister Filter.

url]

Bare Tank
url]

Bare Tank
url]

Bubbles
url]

Bali at the front. Bubbles at the rear
url]

Same just Bali got her head moved and with flash
url]

Spot at front. Bubbles at rear
url]

Spot right. Bubbles left

(Message edited by brendan on January 08, 2005)

C

cynthia

Cute little axolotls there Brendan. Beautiful tank too, cherry finish looks very nice.

B

brendan

Tank looking a bit bare at the moment, but over time more things will be introduced to it to make it look... not so bare.

B

brendan

J

jarred

How many axolotls do you have now Brendan? You seem to have heaps.

B

brendan

3 babies and 2 adults
happy.gif
hopefully on thursday or friday i shall have 2 more adults maybe. Hoping the shop will have an albino and a wild type.

J

jenny

he has a 48 by 14 tank. width is a bit small but 4 foot. should be okay for 5/6. 7 is maybe a bit much. its okay to keep your babies in for now (although babies like more space than adults so not sure bout that) but i would think when they get big you will need a bigger tank or to separate them.

B

brendan

These are some quotes taken from

http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

"This is a Marina aquarium of dimensions 120 cm long x 31 cm wide x 38 cm tall (48 x 12 x 15 inches)"

"For the enthusiast, the accepted minimum would be a 45 cm long aquarium (18 inch) for one adult. An example of an aquarium capable of holding several adult axolotls is shown in the photograph below. This is a good (if large) model on which to base your own axolotl aquarium."

29131.jpg

"With regular maintenance, this aquarium could accomodate eight adult axolotls."

Now this is my own comment.

If my tank is 4 foot itself then why is a depth of 14 inchs not good? There is plenty and i mean PLENTY of room for 2 adult axies to move even with 8 in there there would still be a sufficient amount of space.

Also my juvi's are not int he big tank. They are housed in a 20inch x 14 inch tank. The adults have the big tank. Another thing even with the juvis in the smalelr tank they still have sufficient room. When my juvis grow up and become to big for their curent home (small tank) they will be introduced into the bigger tank with the other 2 adults.

J

jarred

I think having 8 axies in a 4 foot tank would require a lot of work. Regular water changes and clean outs, it would get very messy.

B

brendan

I do regular maintainence as it is at the moment. So thats not a hassel for me. Meh!

J

jarred

Yes but you would be doing maintannence for 2 adults in your 4 foot and 3 juvies in your 20 inch. Not 8 in the same tank. There is a considerable difference in the amount of work you need to put in.

J

jenny

to be honest i suppose its fine. and even though i have six (well at the time i had 7) axoltols in the same size tank as you, everybody started moaning at me saying it was to small (even though it says its fine on this site and on the peter scott book)

is it 14 inch depth? i think of the depth as being height. and width as in..um...the side bit?

but i dunno. just go with what you think your axies seem happiest with. if you think yours are fine in your size tank then keep them there. mine are in same (well my width is bigger its either 18, 19, or 20 inches) and i have 6 but id like to get another one. so.....

B

brendan

when i say depth i mean width.

Like i said in the above post (which was not a direct abusiveness towards you) the legnth makes up for the width (2 axies can fit face to butt going down the width of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!