Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new tiger salamander

Mavortium5698

Reaction score
Hey everyone i went to my local bait shop a couple hours ago and picked up 5 waterdogs. My smallest one is 9 1/2 inches, my largest 11 1/2 inches. The pictures below are of my largest. Who I' ve named Big Boy. All 5 are already feasting on nightcrawlers.

Attachments

• big boy 001.jpg
    big boy 001.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,956
  • big boy 002.jpg
    big boy 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 466
  • big boy 003.jpg
    big boy 003.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,444

Mavortium5698

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the whole bunch.

Attachments

• da bunch 001.jpg
    da bunch 001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 845
  • big boy 004.jpg
    big boy 004.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 444
  • da setup 001.jpg
    da setup 001.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 773

JessKB

Reaction score
They look great! If I were you though, I would fill up the tank. More water makes parameters easier to maintain and keep cool. I've also read that it can help to keep them from morphing as quickly. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with them. I love my tiger. :happy:

RPM

Reaction score
Nice looking Tigers.
I've often wondered, how much do waterdogs cost in bait stores? I'm from the northest and they are not available out here.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Since you brought those guys in a bait shop i assume fishermen use them for fishing? If so are they that common they are not protected by law?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Since you brought those guys in a bait shop i assume fishermen use them for fishing? If so are they that common they are not protected by law?

In some states its legal. For a lot of fishermen its common to see Tiger Salamander larvae as bait. The ones you see above might be paedomorphic or even neotenic. The very act of extracting them and transporting usually leads to morphing. Where I live you won't see salamander larvae as bait anymore.

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
Nice looking Tigers.
I've often wondered, how much do waterdogs cost in bait stores? I'm from the northest and they are not available out here.

They used to be very cheap like $1 around here but now they are more like $4 a piece. They used to be common in bait stores but now they are much harder to find.
Of course for a fisherman $4 is not much as a waterdog is a THE bait if you are trying to catch a trophy bass....

Molch

Reaction score
I must be a trophy bass myself, because my first instinctive reaction upon seeing these monster newts was, "yum!"

I bet they'd be really tasty in the right sauce....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1