Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Newt ate plant and it's egg

I

ian

I have just started feeding live earthworm to my chinese fir belly newts today. They enjoyed it. However, seem like that increased their appetite, I saw my favorite newt attempted and swallowed whole the egg she laid (a newly laid one, so I have not harvested). The problem is not that she ate the egg, herself is more important to me than those egg. Since that egg was wrapped around by leave, it swallowed the egg with the leave together. I heard that amphibians are not able to digest vegetation. Will my newt die because of this?

Please help...

andrew

Reaction score
Im no newt expert, but i highly doubt that an animal that lives on instinct would eat something like a leaf with eggs if that were to kill it. I hope newts are smarter than they look. But lets see what the experts have to say about it.

J

joseph

Again no expert but I don't think it will do any harm. If it can't be digested it should just pass. Their are stories of axolotls passing pebbles and stuff.

J

joan

I agree with Joseph, the plant material will just pass undigested.

I

ian

ic, thx a lot. I will update to you in a few days to see if anything happen to my newt.

J

jeffrey

I have seen my axies regularly take leaves from the tough java fern. They pass them through undigested with no trouble. A recent visitor of mine saw the resulting stool. They do not eat the leaves on purpose, they take them when snatching at food and are unwilling to let go of the leaf.

J

joeri

If I don't harvest my cynops orientalis eggs, they will all be eaten - with leaves if they can't get it out. No health problems, but if you want c.o. offspring, you must harvest
happy.gif

Ps: congrats with the egg(s)

I

ian

yes, it passed out as a patch of green mash. And she is still very healthy. Thanks for your helps.

but thinking of it. If they ate lot of plant accidentally, It will still cause problem, cause this undigested food will fill up the intestines and lower the efficiency of the digestion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!