My Newt Holy Grail

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a lot of leaves in the tank. I see developing eggs in there but I don't see any larvae yet. When I see something, I'll take pics and show you! Thanks for asking!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I moved all the eggs I found into an egg tank. There's a lot of debris in there and I've only seen a few small larvae sometimes. And what do I see in the adult tank? See for yourself!

Attachments

troutnerd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
GE
Very impressive Dawn. You seem to bring the aphrodite to your newts!

deliriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dawn, they're beautiful! congratulations!!! I love threads I can follow from egg laying to larvae and so on. These little guys are so cute! Their mommy is a good looking girl too.:p
John, if Dawn's luck has anything to do with your recent visit, I'll put on some coffee how soon can you be here? I'm attempting to breed my notos. :D

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Amazing work Dawn. My congratulations! I hope I can do the same with mine next year... Can you give us some tips how you managed to do so?:D

Cheers!!
Jorge

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I was ready to give up that they'd ever breed. I was going to try putting them outdoors for a while in May and Sept (when it's cooler) hoping there was something they needed, but then finally!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Lovely, Dawn. I wish i could take some off your hands when they morph :p
Let´s hope this success repeats itself in the future. Who knows, maybe in a few years you´ll be known as that woman who breeds T.granulosa xD

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Rodrigo they were multiple times breed in Europe... Didn´t you knew? I guess at least 4 people or more, most of them if not all present in this forum. And next year I hope 2 more guys join to this number of European Taricha breeders.:D

Dawn, even that you were not expecting them to breed you have an idea of what they were subjected to? Temps, housing, feeding periods, lightning...
thanks,

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I know, Jorge. I was very tempted to get a group instead of my pyrrhogaster (i´m SO glad i didn´t xD).
I just said that because if Dawn lived close to me, i know i wouldn´t be able to resist getting some :D

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't forget, Audrey has had great success breeding them.
I don't really know what I did. I had just about given up. I was going to try putting them outside for part of the summer- May and Sept, when it's not too hot. I made a special tank and all for them.
And then the one laid! I don't know how many I'll get. Here are some better shots of them (from the side).

Attachments

Last edited:

NightWolf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Congratulations Dawn! Please keep us updated with the egg's development! :D

uwe

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Uwe
BTW: the larvae are a perfect example for Taricha granulosa larvae. This is an other way to differentiate granulosa from torosa.

Good job and good pictures Dawn.

Uwe

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just emptied my T. grans larvae tank into the 50-50 (water-land) sub-adult tank. They are pretty large now, and very close to morphing (gills down to nubs, adult coloration). I have one tank with full grown wc T. grans, the parent tank of these, and a cb tank with 5 two-year olds, one yearling, and now...
FOURTEEN large cb T. grans larvae!

anothernewtfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Jeffries
So cool. Great larvae pics. I kept Taricha newts for several years, they "rode" each other around the tank for hours but never produced any eggs. So cool to hear about successful captive breeding of this species. Thanks for the updates

cjack926

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to try a true novice's hand at breeding these beautiful animals this winter. Is there any tips on feeding? Any help would be great, I just got my females a few months ago so this is truly a shot in the dark, and any guidance would be amazing!

Congratulations on the girl laying for you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl owner2020: I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget. +1