My newt is changing color is he okay?

richardss09

Reaction score
Country
United States
My newt ate a worm on Friday and he has been doing really well. However within two days he's started to turn darker in color. They are California newts and the girl is the same color as she was orange and a little brown. He's very dark brown now. Is this a phase? Should I be concerned?

I haven't kept this species but have kept their close relative, the rough skinned newt, and they certainly do change color! I am not sure why. Sometimes they will be dark brown sometimes light. It can be a HUGE difference as well, not something minute always. It can change over a few days or seemingly overnight sometimes. I can't figure out what causes it but it isn't anything bad, no need to be concerned :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back