Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Newt ( Triturus marmoratus )

evut

Reaction score
Re: T. marmoratus question.

Hi Julia. Where are you getting earthworms these days? I can't find any most of the time.

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I order a mixed size from Worms Direct. I then keep them in a plastic lidded ( tight fitting as they do escape!) crate with soil, cardboard and vegetation.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

My trio have now been 'morphed' a year. They still seem to be growing, especially their tails. Little has changed, one male spends most of his time in the water, the other shows signs of occasionally having a dip. The female tends to be shy and rarely comes out. I am still serving chopped worms and all happily eat on land.
This evening I attempted a photo shoot . My Salamandra S. sprinted for cover, but these guys co-operated for a while.

Attachments

• P1020641.jpg
    P1020641.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 265
  • P1020627.jpg
    P1020627.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 283

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Can not resist updating. :lol:

Attachments

• P1020779.jpg
    P1020779.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 251
  • P1020776.jpg
    P1020776.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 275
  • P1020784.jpg
    P1020784.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 260

evut

Reaction score

Lovely photos, Julia! Especially the first one :happy:
My little guy got a bigger tank and is back in water, only resting on the island at night.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I went to feed the guys this evening and all where merrily submerged. One male spends a fair bit of time lurking, the other male occasionally dips and the female tends to stay on the surface, barely getting wet. Tonight they where all submerged, and one of the males has a noticeably larger tail and crest, he was flickering his tail at the female. I had been meaning to place them in a glass tank, but now I feel I should wait, I don't want to upset them. I think I shall be keeping a closer eye on what happens now :happy:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Took some pictures this morning. My little boy has grown up fast.

Attachments

• P1020993.jpg
    P1020993.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 230
  • P1030002.jpg
    P1030002.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 258

Opacum

Reaction score

They look like little underwater Dimetrodons... just fantastic! Keep up the obviously great work! :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I keep going in to see what he is doing. :D He looks like he is trying to make himself look big and spiky to the female. He splays his toes and goes onto the tips of his toes more. Having looked at other pictures of the males going into their breeding dress, he still has a way to go.
I am still a little surprised by it all as they are only18months or so old, and it is autumn here. I have little idea what to expect now.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

He looks great!
Hell...i miss this species....
They grow fast, so the first breeding when they are 18 months is normal, specially for males.
Some wild populations breed in autumn and i know in captivity they can breed both in autumn AND in spring, so that´s normal too. Chances are the females won´t be ready, though, but you may get lucky!

He is a looker, Julia, congrats :) Keep us posted on how he looks when he fully develops.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time watching these three. This afternoon the female seemed to be trying to lay eggs, the second male, who has a much smaller crest is pretty much following her every where. But I suspect he may be picking off any eggs. This evening I saw the male doing his crazy little dance..his movements remind me of a skunk spraying. It was something between awesome and comical. I noticed also he seems to have a strange , triangular shaped mound under his throat as well.
I am so glad I have these to watch, far better than the football that my human males are watching.:D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Ah! You are going to have eggs, just you wait. Once the females start practicing the egg-laying, then it´s a matter of time until they start laying eggs, although possibly the first ones will be duds.
That thing in the throat is perfectly normal. All Triturus species males engrose their throats while courting to show off the coloration of the throat.

As a personal favor i would like to ask you to please take a video of your guys courting xD I miss it a lot, the males become really spectacular.

Oh and you are absolutely right...much better than football, hehe.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I failed dismally to catch my male trying to woo the female. He still struts about the tank, but the female seems to be avoiding him. She seems more rounded , so I suppose its a case of waiting and seeing.
Anyway, here are some poor videos of them.
YouTube - WEB_0119.MP4
YouTube - WEB_0117.MP4

This last one has a voice over from my just turned 2 year old son, I hadn't realised he had any idea what they where....;)
YouTube - WEB_0116.MP4

evut

Reaction score

They're looking great, Julia. The commentary is very interesting.. I assume the "weirdness" of caudate courting hasn't lead to any uncomfortable questions? :happy:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I am pretty sure his crest has become even bigger since I took this a week ago. I was told the males look stunning, I have to agree.:D

Attachments

• First Canon pics. Caudates 033.jpg
    First Canon pics. Caudates 033.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 332

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

Your picture of the male looks great, Julia. I just put my male and his bevy of female companions into the water this weekend, and it appears they were ready to dive right in!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I was watching the male, still courting the female and noticed that my plants are now adorned with eggs. They morphed Aug 09
I have decided to leave them in the tank as the parents are siblings. I am hoping to get some more in the future .

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Gosh, its been nearly a year since I have anything to say about these. Last year I re-homed one of the males.... I suspect I ended up with the male that didn't show any inclination to go into breeding mode. I also got another female plus a little juvenile that was sent as a travelling companion.
As you may see from the picture his crest is rather lacking :sad: It has taken him a couple of months to get this far. The females are looking a little more promising with nice rounded tummies, so I am not giving up quite yet.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 272

Linus

Reaction score

Great thread, I'm very interested in marms. I love the vids and pics, please keep updating!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

This morning, while cleaning the tank a little, I noticed some suspiciously folded up leaves on the submerged tradescantia. I am proud to announce that I have discovered two whole eggs :D. One I can see is developing, the other is so tightly folded I can't see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!