Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Newt ( Triturus marmoratus )

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: T. marmoratus question.

I feel it is time for a little update. My females are laying eggs on the elodea, the plastic egg laying strips and the tradescantia, but none are developing :( .
The male, who I decided merited a name ( Marmaduke) is still merrily courting the females, but his crest has not developed further. I think I may need to look for a new male :eek:

Niels D

Reaction score

This male has fertilised the eggs of our females and his crest hasn't got any bigger than this:

IMG_3424.jpg

Maybe you don't need a new male after all. He's pretty big though. The first eggs weren't developing, but the second batch did.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Last week I replaced all the egg laying strips and removed as many eggs as possible from the leaves, I felt it would be easier to see if there was any development in later laid eggs.
Last night, I saw Marmaduke courting one of the females, spermataphore was deposited and she picked one up :D
Today there is more egg laying going on...I feel she is getting fed up and is trying a new technique.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 374

evut

Reaction score

I always admire the sense of balance when I see newt girls laying eggs. And I usually laugh as well - the poses are hilarious :happy:
Hopefully the newer eggs will be fertile - good luck!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

This morning I removed another batch of eggs that where not appearing to be fertile....and look what I found. I can barely contain my excitement :bowl: Maybe I'll have at least one larvae :D

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 287

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Today I found they had hatched, I had forgotten how tiny they are.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 264

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Yesterday, while feeding the four tiny larvae, I noticed that one looked close to morphing. This morning the tiny one had. Hopefully the other three, which are bigger will soon follow. My first home grown T.marmoratus :D

Attachments

• Marm juveniles 003.jpg
    Marm juveniles 003.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Congrats! These have to be one of the most adorable juveniles in the caudate world.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Finally my last little larvae decided that aquatic life was no longer fun. The first one morphed and trundled onto land the start of August. Not the greatest of breeding seasons for them, but its a start. Hopefully next year they will be far more successful :D

Attachments

• Marmoratus juveniles 004.jpg
    Marmoratus juveniles 004.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Marmoratus juveniles 005.jpg
    Marmoratus juveniles 005.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 585
  • Marmoratus juveniles 006.jpg
    Marmoratus juveniles 006.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 304

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Those are ridiculously beautiful, Julia, well done :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The little guys are growing so fast :D I think very soon they are going to need a new home. The four juveniles where joined by the midget adult( second picture) I hadn't realised that it was so small, or that my juveniles had grown so big, but there is little difference between them in size now. Last week one of the juveniles visited Ned's nursery class, the children where spectacularly disinterested, the parents however thought they where amazing :D
Meanwhile, during mid summer the adults had been spending more time on their floating island, so I set up a terrestrial tub out doors with a water bowl for them. I added the group to it and they all promptly hopped in to the water and didn't leave:( .
A few weeks ago I set up their aquatic tub in the shed and plonked the three adults in. The two females are looking rather well rounded and Marmaduke has been slowly developing his spiky little crest. Today I received another male, plus another little travelling companion . Once the new male decides to become aquatic, he will join the original group.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3,038
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 313

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just been stalking the marms :D...well, I was gazing at the size my females and marvelling at how big their bellies had gotten. I then looked to see how Marmaduke was doing with his crest and noticed that it has had a bit of a growth spurt. Finding the new male was less easy and then I spotted him lurking among the weed at the bottom. I then noticed little white dots nestled amongst the weeds...seems they think its time to be laying eggs. I am rather surprised as I have just looked at the water temperature and it was 6.1 degree Celsius. I am now hoping for a more fertile year from these guys :D

Attachments

• Marms 005.jpg
    Marms 005.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 215
  • Marms 006.jpg
    Marms 006.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 191

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the females is hiding from the males :D

Attachments

• P1030434.jpg
    P1030434.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 234
  • P1030441.jpg
    P1030441.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,389
  • P1030436.jpg
    P1030436.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 243
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1