My poor Elennor

Hi Sarah.....

OK I will remove the gravel asap...Can I just use normal sand??? Yes the tank dose look quite small in that photo, but it is a big tank, its between 90 and 100 liters. My water temp is 19 degrees and the medicine is melafix. She has eaten now, she ate some worms but as I said i had to feed them to her because when I put them into the tank she wasent interested in them ( that's why I thought she had gone blind hahaha), but when I offered them to her on the tweezers she gobbled them up.

I used childrens play sand. Be sure to clean the sand before putting it in your tank. I used the bucket method to do this. Fill bucket about half way with sand and then add water almost to the top of the bucket, use your hands to stir the sand in the water, then pour the water out of the bucket. Keep doing this till the water finally runs clear. This may take 3 or 4 times till the water runs clear.
Good luck

Hi guys....Ive changed the gravel to sand today, It has gone a bit cloudy even though I washed and washed the sand.....Ive got the filter on full force to try and clear it. I didn't really want to put Ellie back in there while the water was like this, plus I have had to put some new water into the tank. I have placed her in a container and popped her into the fridge is this OK?

The cloudy water will not hurt your axolotl. It just doesn't look nice. Your axolotl will still be able to breathe. It will be more important to monitor the water quality for ammonia/nitrite peaks (which are dealt with with water changes, as you most likely already know).

-Eva

Depending on your filter type you can rinse the filter sponges out in a container of tank water. This will help dislodge any fine sand particles in the sponges and hopefully help clear the cloudy water quicker.

Hi Guys.....

Ellie is now back in her tank, it has cleared well, but is still not %100....The PH is 7 and Ammonia 0.....She seems quite happy, she hasn't really moved much since I put her back in there though. The white spots in her eyes have nearly completely gone which I am happy about. Will try and see if she will have something to eat tomorrow. I am hoping that things will be a lot better now, I will keep you all updated.

A big thank you to you all....Its great to have people that can help you out with problems like this.....

Nicole & Ellie
xoxo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back